BT Baby Monitor 250
Bad battery life from about 2 months on, screen display failed about 6 months in, just out of guarantee and now it just turns itself off in the middle of the night. Absolutely not what you would expect from a BT product! It is completely disgraceful, that as many reviewers have said that this is only made to last for a year, if your thinking that you can use this for a second child, think again!
15 April 2014
Worst Product Ever
1. The battery life is non existent. After approx 3 months it would not last the baby's sleep. We now walk around the house with the plug-in base and move it from the kitchen to the TV room in the evenings as it lasts no longer than 20 minutes without being plugged in.
2. The unit switches itself off for no reason. It also switches itself off if you touch the unit by mistake. The only method of switching it back on is by plugging the unit into its base. The other night it switched itself off during the night and I only ended up hearing my baby crying when he became inconsolable and was screaming his little lungs out.
3. The mute button does not work any longer.
4. The temperature gage is incorrect. It registers at least 2 degrees higher. When it registers as 24 degrees (or 22 degrees normally, which ours does on a regular basis as the master unit base is near a lamp), the parent monitor buzzes. It buzzes, and buzzes, and buzzes. You can press "OK" to pause the buzzing for a while, and if the monitor hasnt switched itself off in the process, you get 3 to 5 minutes respite. It then buzzes again, and again, and again, until you eventually want to throw the unit accross the room. This happens on a regular basis in the middle of the night so given that it is painful enough trying to get sufficient sleep as a parent of a young baby, BT ensure that on the rare occasions that you do you get woken up by the monitor.
5. The sound quality is tinny, which frankly, is the least of its problems.
6. Overall it is not fit for purpose and a total waste of money.
03 April 2014
First baby on the way - With so much advice about temperatures and safety, the ability to remotely monitor room temperature sealed the deal for me.
Unfortunately after 3 days of testing in different locations and times of day with two other thermometers as control measures, this unit measures consistently in excess of 2 degrees above the other thermometers, which in the unit warning bands, means always ignoring the 'too warm' indicator and taking no action until red 'too hot' flags up. For me this is going to create no comfort about reliability.
Their product manual states the unit operates in a tolerance of approximately -/+ 1 degree, technically I suppose 2 degrees would sit in the 'approximately' tolerance range. All a bit slopey shouldered? Why include a function if you can't deliver it usefully?
Buy it if you don't care about the temperature function, or are willing to trust mentally subtracting 2 degrees from whatever it says, and hoping that it is consistently inaccurate for this to become the accurate measure.
Frustrating. From a name I trusted for quality.
05 March 2014
Good for landfill
After 13 months we experienced the widely-reported LCD failure problem in the handset, meaning that you can no longer read the temperature properly.
After 16 months, the handset would no longer charge up owing to a fault in the base charger. Again, this is another widely reported problem with this monitor.
If you are looking to buy this as you think it is BT branded and therefore should be a high-quality item, you will be disappointed. It is poorly made and designed to only last as long as the 12 month warranty (with many apparently failing before then).
No item should have such obsolescence built in to it. Do not waste your money on this item which will only be good for landfill (not even charity or freecycling) after 12 months.
29 December 2013
The display on our first one failed within a few months. We returned for a refund (JL replaced without quibble as expected) and the second one did the exact same thing a few months later. I'm not bothering to return again as I'm sure it will do the same. Our friends have one with the same issue.
The battery life, as others have said, is awful. i thought it may be the batteries so replaced with decent rechargeables. We nearly never remove it from the base but I have done so tonight and the battery warning came on within 15 minutes, prompting me to finally write this review. As someone else has said, the temperature reads high so it's not reliable as a thermometer. All in all, fairly useless unless you just want a basic monitor, with good sound quality, that is permanently left plugged in
14 December 2013
Our little boy is 4 months now so we have been using this for a while.
The range on it is great and the sound quality is fantastic. We can hear him breathing through it and it's on the wall next to his cot.
The music options are good. We have found one that seems to settle him well so it's on repeat.
I would highly recommend this monitor. The reason I have given it a 4 star instead of 5 is because of the battery life. The battery hold is poor, you can have it on for a few hours before it needs charging. It's not a major problem because we just move the charge base to where we are in the house.
10 December 2013
Good while it lasts
We bought one of these before our baby was born and it worked wonderfully for a year. We almost always had the monitor on the charger base in our living room, so battery life was not a problem. I'm not sure what happened with the mute button for another reviewer, ours would beep and flash if there was any crying with the mute on.
However, after about a year this stopped working suddenly and completely. We didn't bother replacing it because we were all so tired we were going to bed at the same time anyway but I would have liked it to last long enough for a second baby, so I am quite frustrated with it's durability.
24 August 2013
Very poor battery life
We had the old version of this monitor for our first child, so when our second was born, we instinctively chose another BT product, but we've been really disappointed with this one.
It's a year old now and the battery life is terrible. Our cradle is in our bedroom, so the monitor isn't being charged during the day. Although I ensure i turn it off when it's not being used, the battery never lasts for my son's second nap: Something the previous BT model used to do easily. Surely a requirement of a monitor should be to last a day without additional charge ?! Cordless house phones can last days without being charged, why can't this ?
The torch is easily turned on by accident and the screen no longer has the full display.
It does seems to be all about looks and not the actual usage of the monitor.
Expected more. Will not buy a BT monitor again.
16 August 2013