BT Baby Monitor 250
Replacement works a treat
Great monitor after a minor problem. I bought this baby monitor to replace the BT device which connects to ones iphone to use as a baby monitor which kept losing connection. I exchanged it for this BT 250 monitor which unfortunately was faulty, the parent unit wouldn't charge with the charging device. After calling the BT help desk in the literature they suggested I take it back to John Lewis for an exchange. The replacement BT 250 baby monitor works a treat (3rd time lucky!). It connects well & monitors with no interference. We have an old house with thick walls & it copes with it brilliantly. The temperature function is useful as well as the mute functions which allow you to block out minor baby gurgle noises & pick up louder cries - helps with sleep when you don't want to be disturbed by minor sounds from your baby. There is also a complete mute function which allows you to use the display only to monitor sound. Useful if you're making a phone call. The on/off button is easily felt for & found if in a darkened room. Overall,I'm really pleased with this monitor. It does exactly what I need without loads of extra unnecessary functions!
08 July 2014
Batteries are rubbish
As with so many other reviews I agree the battery life is poor and thus makes this product somewhat rubbish. I followed the instructions on the pre charge and fully let the decharge happen but the battery still only lasts max a couple of hours.
I would not chose this product again.
27 June 2014
Bad battery life from about 2 months on, screen display failed about 6 months in, just out of guarantee and now it just turns itself off in the middle of the night. Absolutely not what you would expect from a BT product! It is completely disgraceful, that as many reviewers have said that this is only made to last for a year, if your thinking that you can use this for a second child, think again!
15 April 2014
Worst Product Ever
1. The battery life is non existent. After approx 3 months it would not last the baby's sleep. We now walk around the house with the plug-in base and move it from the kitchen to the TV room in the evenings as it lasts no longer than 20 minutes without being plugged in.
2. The unit switches itself off for no reason. It also switches itself off if you touch the unit by mistake. The only method of switching it back on is by plugging the unit into its base. The other night it switched itself off during the night and I only ended up hearing my baby crying when he became inconsolable and was screaming his little lungs out.
3. The mute button does not work any longer.
4. The temperature gage is incorrect. It registers at least 2 degrees higher. When it registers as 24 degrees (or 22 degrees normally, which ours does on a regular basis as the master unit base is near a lamp), the parent monitor buzzes. It buzzes, and buzzes, and buzzes. You can press "OK" to pause the buzzing for a while, and if the monitor hasnt switched itself off in the process, you get 3 to 5 minutes respite. It then buzzes again, and again, and again, until you eventually want to throw the unit accross the room. This happens on a regular basis in the middle of the night so given that it is painful enough trying to get sufficient sleep as a parent of a young baby, BT ensure that on the rare occasions that you do you get woken up by the monitor.
5. The sound quality is tinny, which frankly, is the least of its problems.
6. Overall it is not fit for purpose and a total waste of money.
03 April 2014
First baby on the way - With so much advice about temperatures and safety, the ability to remotely monitor room temperature sealed the deal for me.
Unfortunately after 3 days of testing in different locations and times of day with two other thermometers as control measures, this unit measures consistently in excess of 2 degrees above the other thermometers, which in the unit warning bands, means always ignoring the 'too warm' indicator and taking no action until red 'too hot' flags up. For me this is going to create no comfort about reliability.
Their product manual states the unit operates in a tolerance of approximately -/+ 1 degree, technically I suppose 2 degrees would sit in the 'approximately' tolerance range. All a bit slopey shouldered? Why include a function if you can't deliver it usefully?
Buy it if you don't care about the temperature function, or are willing to trust mentally subtracting 2 degrees from whatever it says, and hoping that it is consistently inaccurate for this to become the accurate measure.
Frustrating. From a name I trusted for quality.
05 March 2014
Good for landfill
After 13 months we experienced the widely-reported LCD failure problem in the handset, meaning that you can no longer read the temperature properly.
After 16 months, the handset would no longer charge up owing to a fault in the base charger. Again, this is another widely reported problem with this monitor.
If you are looking to buy this as you think it is BT branded and therefore should be a high-quality item, you will be disappointed. It is poorly made and designed to only last as long as the 12 month warranty (with many apparently failing before then).
No item should have such obsolescence built in to it. Do not waste your money on this item which will only be good for landfill (not even charity or freecycling) after 12 months.
29 December 2013
The display on our first one failed within a few months. We returned for a refund (JL replaced without quibble as expected) and the second one did the exact same thing a few months later. I'm not bothering to return again as I'm sure it will do the same. Our friends have one with the same issue.
The battery life, as others have said, is awful. i thought it may be the batteries so replaced with decent rechargeables. We nearly never remove it from the base but I have done so tonight and the battery warning came on within 15 minutes, prompting me to finally write this review. As someone else has said, the temperature reads high so it's not reliable as a thermometer. All in all, fairly useless unless you just want a basic monitor, with good sound quality, that is permanently left plugged in
14 December 2013
Our little boy is 4 months now so we have been using this for a while.
The range on it is great and the sound quality is fantastic. We can hear him breathing through it and it's on the wall next to his cot.
The music options are good. We have found one that seems to settle him well so it's on repeat.
I would highly recommend this monitor. The reason I have given it a 4 star instead of 5 is because of the battery life. The battery hold is poor, you can have it on for a few hours before it needs charging. It's not a major problem because we just move the charge base to where we are in the house.
10 December 2013