Canon EF 17 40mm f/4.0L USM Standard Lens
Product informationThe Canon EF17-40mm USM is an ultra wide zoom lens designed for professional and high amateur SLR EOS users.
It is especially well suited for digital SLR cameras with an imaging sensor size smaller than the 35mm format. On such cameras these focal lengths can give an angle of view approximately equivalent to that of a 28-70mm lens used on a 35mm camera, which makes it the ideal standard zoom lens.
Super Spectra Coating on the elements ensures excellent colour balance and minimizes ghosting and flare. To provide superb image quality over a 17-40mm zoom range the lens uses three aspheric elements of two different types while Super Ultra-low Dispersion glass is used to prevent aberrations that can degrade the clarity.
The Auto-focus works silently and quickly thanks to a fast central processing unit and you can override AF mode with manual focus should you wish. Its circular aperture can also achieve a more attractive appearance to out of focus background areas in a picture.
Minimum focusing distance is just 28cm throughout the entire zoom range. It’s highly resistant to moisture and dust, and environment friendly lead-free glass is used throughout its construction.
Suitable for use with Canon Digital SLR cameras.
- Autofocus Motor Information Built-In autofocus engine to supplement your camera
- Yes- USM
- Diaphragm Blades Information The amount of blades used to create the aperture
- L97 x Dia.83.5mm
- Eligible for International Delivery
- Equivalent Focal Length Information Focal length when viewed through cameras with a cropped sensor
- 27-64mm (APS-C 1.6x crop factor)
- Filter Thread (mm) Information Section inside the front that allows accessories like filters and hoods to be attached
- Focal Length Information The distance from the sensor and the optical centre of the lens when focused to infinity
- Image Stabilisation Information Irons out blur and shake, so your shots are super-sharp
- Lens Elements Information Amount of glass pieces that make up the lens
- Lens Groups Information Amount of compounds that make up the lens
- Lens Mount Information Type of camera fitting
- Canon EF
- Maximum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Minimum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Minimum Focus Distance Information The closest you can get to your subject without losing focus
- 28cm (11.02")
- Model name / number
- Sensor Format
- Full frame, Canon APS-C
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
Click & collect
- Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops tomorrow from 2pm
- Collect + from a local shop from tomorrow, postcode exclusions apply
- Standard delivery within 5 working days
- Named or Saturday UK delivery
- Named day UK delivery pre-10.30am
International delivery not available
We want you to be happy with your purchase. If you're not, depending on the type of product, you can make free returns in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+, or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454. Find out more about returns.
You'll find returns information on your delivery note. Unless faulty, we'd like you to make your return within 90 days of purchase. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy.
Q & As
Take advantage of our experience in seeking out your ideal camera.