Gizzi Erskine’s Coronation Chicken with Watercress and Mango Salsa
Preparation time 30 minutes. Cooking time 45 minutes. Cooling time 3 hours
1. Pop the chicken, breast-side up, in a large pan with the onions, sliced ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns, saffron, salt and bay leaf. Fill with cold water until only the top of the breast is exposed. Cover and simmer, turning down to a low heat so only the occasional bubble rises to the surface. Cook gently for about one hour or until the juices run clear. Allow to cool completely in the cooking juices.
2. For the dressing, heat the oil in a small frying pan, fry the onion very slowly for about 1 minute or until softened and tinged gold. Add the garlic and ginger for a further minute. Mix in the curry powder, and toast until fragrant. Leave this to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Blend until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dressing with Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt and mango chutney.
4. Once the chicken is cold shred into bite sized chunks. Do this with your hands, really feathering out the meat.
5. Mix 3/4 of the dressing [step 3] with the chicken coating evenly.
6. Mix together the mango, chilli and coriander in a small mixing bowl as this will be the garnish.
7. To serve, spread your choice of bread with a tiny bit of the excess dressing, top each with some watercress or shredded lettuce, then the coronation chicken, the mango salsa [step 6] and toasted almonds.
This recipe was created exclusively for John Lewis by food writer and Chef Gizzi Erskine.
£3.00 Standard UK delivery within 5 working days
Click & collect
Free Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops from 2pm Monday
International delivery available:
From £7.50 Europe (EU)