Entertaining & Cooking Ideas
Bring the authentic taste of Italy into your home with our pasta hints and tipsRead more
Boiled or scrambled; follow a few simple rules for excellent eggs every timeRead more
- - 250g unsalted butter, diced
- - Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- - 275g caster sugar
- - 300g plain flour
- - 5 medium eggs
- - 2 tsp baking powder
- - 150ml double cream
- - Raspberries and icing
sugar, to finish
- Line the bases of two 20cm sandwich tins with non-stick baking paper and preheat the oven to 170°C/335°F/gas mark 3. Put the butter in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until pale, light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest and sugar, and whisk again for 2-3 minutes until lighter and paler.
- Beat in 100g of the flour until smooth, then add the eggs one at a time, beating as you go. Sift in the remaining flour and baking powder, and fold through quickly and evenly, taking your spatula to the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for about 35-40 minutes (until a skewer poked in comes out clean). Allow to cool in the tins. Run a knife around the edge of each tin, turn the cakes onto a rack and remove the paper from the bases. Trim the cakes to neaten them.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks. Top one of the cakes with a generous layer of cream, followed by the raspberries, assemble the sandwich and dust with icing sugar to serve.