Rated 3.7 out of 5 by 3
Rated 5 out of 5 by BruceP Great bed
We're very happy with the bed; it's solid and made of oak and looks very good. Just what we wanted.
The bed does take a bit of self assembly - not difficult, but just time consuming to especially assemble the 6 storage drawers
28 April 2015
Rated 3 out of 5 by jimbof Nice enough looking, quality so-so
This bed is nice enough to look at, and quite comfortable once assembled; but seems to be plagued by a few quality niggles and design issues:
1) one of my drawer sides had a large knot in the wood which had been pre-drilled for a screw. On inserting the screw, the knot disintegrated.
2) The sides and backs of the drawers - which you usually don't see - are untreated wood and quite cheap looking.
3) The pre-drilled locations are not particularly precise, which combined with screws with poor quality threads which don't cut much leads to drawer boxes not going together particularly well.
4) At least one of the oak faced drawers on my bed had a small knot filled in with a resin, which isn't really wood coloured. Another had a chip on a back corner.
5) The wheels on the bottom of the drawers work poorly on carpet of any substance.
6) There are two slightly different edge profiles applied to the drawer fronts - some of mine are basically square along the top, some have a fair curve applied.
7) The assembly time in the instructions is ridiculously optimistic - you need to set aside at least 90 minutes.
John Lewis replaced 1) & 4). The other issues are really just annoyances on a bed which isn't particularly inexpensive. The first replacement for the drawer side also had a knot and also broke during assembly! Second time lucky. The helpline (manufacturer) were not very useful, referring me back to John Lewis for spare parts.
I'm hoping the bed provides a good service life. On returning some of the broken parts to the store, I noticed that their display model was exhibiting notable bowing to the drawer fronts (no longer sitting flat to the frame). I hope mine won't suffer a similar fate.
11 September 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by Jozigirl NICE BED - BUT PROBLEM WITH MATTRESS!
I bought the bed and am happy with it - meaning the frame with storage drawers. However, finding a suitable mattress has proved headache. I had to return the John Lewis Basics Memory Mattress, Double as it had to be crammed into the frame and it was impossible to make the bed properly (with mattress protector and sheet) as the fit was so tight. I've just had a different mattress delivered - the JL Pocket Ortho 1000, Double. However - again, it's a tight fit. I suppose since the INSIDE measurement of the frame is 190cm long by 137cm wide and the mattress is said to be 190cm long by 135cm wide there is bound to be a problem! Very odd.
16 June 2014