Resembling the look of words on a piece of paper, with easy navigation
What you need to know
Kindle Paperwhite is the best Kindle yet, but there are certain limitations and changes from prior generations that you should be aware of.
- Kindle Paperwhite does not have audio or text-to-speech. This makes the device smaller and lighter than it would otherwise be. Audio and an improved text-to-speech engine are supported on Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD.
- Under certain lighting conditions, the illumination at the bottom of the screen from the built-in light is not perfectly even (see examples of how the screen looks in different lighting conditions below). These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present. The illumination is more even than that created by a book light or lighted cover. The contrast, resolution and illumination of the Paperwhite display, however, are a significant step-up from the prior generation.
- The Kindle Paperwhite has 2GB of storage. Some previous Kindle models had 4GB of storage. 2GB allows you to hold up to 1,100 books locally on your device. In addition, your entire Kindle library is stored for free in the Amazon Cloud, and you can easily move books from the Cloud onto your device.
Dark room, light setting low [Recommended for most comfortable reading]
Dark room, light setting at full brightness [Not recommended]
In darkness, the most comfortable illumination level for most readers is a lower light setting.
- Display: Amazon's 6" Paperwhite display with patented built-in light, 212 ppi, optimised font technology, 16-level grey scale
- Size: 169 x 117 x 9.1 mm
- Weight: 213g
- System requirements: None; fully wireless and doesn't require a computer to download content
- On-device storage: 2GB internal (approximately 1.25GB available for user content). Holds up to 1,100 books
- Cloud storage: Free Cloud storage for all Amazon content
- Battery life: A single charge lasts up to 8 weeks based on ½ an hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. Battery life will vary, depending on light and wireless usage
- Charge time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable. UK power adapter sold separately.
- WiFi connectivity: Supports public and private WiFi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or WiFi Protected Setup (WPS)
- Content formats supported: Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion
- Documentation: Quick Start Guide (included in box) [PDF]; Kindle Paperwhite User Guide (pre-installed on device) [PDF]. Additional information in multiple languages available online
- Warranty and Service: Kindle Paperwhite is sold with a worldwide limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired.
- Included in the box: Kindle, USB 2.0 charging cable, and Quick Start Guide.