John Lewis Toronto Changer/Dresser, White
Having read a few of the previous reviews, I was a little hesitant to purchase this item. However, I liked the height and price point so decided to give it a try.
I consider myself near 'expert level' in putting furniture together and this one is not impossible but is not the clearest in instruction. it does also contain glue which is not an issue for me. Being rather pregnant I instructed my husband in putting things together, we worked in a team and both survived. The holes for the handles were drilled all the way through.
The most fiddly bit was getting the doors just at the right level and nice and straight, which took a little bit of adjusting but now they are perfect in alignment.
Quality is fine, the height is great so no stooping to change baby and the changing tray can be removed when no longer required.
26 August 2014
TERRIBLE, *DO NOT BUY* TERRIBLE
See review from 17th February 2014 and my comment.
Only need to add that
1) wrong door knobs were supplied
2) this is completely incongruous with other products supplied by John Lewis which is why I am taken by surprise
This should be taken off the site or reviewed internally again by someone in john lewis (someone different)
21 July 2014
Have to say I am really disappointed with this changing unit. Once built it is lovely but building it is an awful experience and if I had known it would be this bad i wouldn't have purchased it.
It took over 3hrs to build, not all the holes are correctly lined up, the door handles don't have any holes pre drilled so you need to do this yourself. You also need glue, what flat pack kit requires glue?? There are also a few chips and marks on the unit.
If my poor mother hadn't spent hrs building this i would be returning it. Such a shame as this unit is lovely once put together but what a disappointing experience. Next time I would spend a bit more and get something pre built as this is not what I expect with john lewis.
27 April 2014
I would expect better from John Lewis. This is an awful changing unit. The top section looks awful with exposed screws (no cover clips included) and the drawer is rickety. I did however award one extra star for good customer service. Supposedly they've received lots of complaints about this.
11 March 2014
It was a little difficult to put together. We needed to adjust a few parts to make it fit properly.
Now it's put together it looks great. We have bought the other items of furniture in the collection and all together it looks fab
23 February 2014
Toronto Changer/Dresser - An Odyssey
This was the poorest piece of flat pack furniture I've ever purchased - the whole process was fraught with issues. I've built a lot of flat pack, but this was just a joke.
- The first Toronto we received had a part missing - we had to arrange to send the whole item back and have a new one dispatched rather than just receive the missing part.
- The packing for both units had pretty much disintegrated when we received it. It soaked through onto the white components inside.
- The white MDF components were grubby, and unfinished in places. There were noticeable scores and scratches on multiple parts.
- The design is poor - seems to have been built to a price rather than to a standard. Parts were of a low quality too, for example one of the handles wouldn't thread correctly.
- Glue is included in the instructions. Glue? Very messy and not something I have seen in any flat pack furniture items before.
- The two holes for attaching the knobs on the doors at the front hadn't been drilled through properly. I had to finish this off myself and the wood split as part of that.
- The changing table at the top has alan key screws that have been painted white. This makes it difficult to actually fit the alan key into them - the end result is the paint is scratched on the sides anyway.
I have had no issue with ordering from John Lewis in the past but this was a real disappointment.
17 February 2014