Rated 4.8 out of 5 by 8
Rated 5 out of 5 by ChristosEdinburgh Superb coffee quality, complete coffee-making automation
I have been researching bean-to-cup coffee machines FOR MONTHS. I read every review there was to read. Compared opinions on performances, prices, pros-n-cons, watched videos on youtube. You name it. I decided to go for this one. The conclusion? What can I say, I am very impressed.
- The quality of the coffee is SUPERB; Had 4 different people tried different kinds of coffee (espresso, cappuccino, flat white, milkkaffee), and they all agreed, that we are talking about professional grade coffee here; matches the best stuff made by professional baristas. It really does.
- The complete automation; unlike other coffee machines where you have to froth your milk, then wipe the nozzle, then unplug the tube, then something else, here we are talking about things happening (getting cleaned) behind the scenes, and you get to enjoy your coffee. I cannot emphasise enough how nice this feels. You want a coffee? You press the button, you have your coffee. Somebody else made it for you.
- Complete automation, part 2: all the little things the machine does (e.g. retracting the nozzle and starting cleaning it while the espresso is being poured into your cup, or going into cleaning mode when it decides it is time to do so) gives you the impression that it's got things under control. It's hard to explain. It is that "I am a german machine, I know what I am doing" kind of feeling.
- The price, obviously. It is a very expensive gadget. Yes, one can find cheaper machines (at the price of less automation, and maybe the quality of the coffee). You may want to say, you get what you pay for. Don't know. Still very expensive. :) This is really a personal decision to make.
- The looks: kind of bulky and unattractive. Check out for example one of those Sage by Heston bean-to-cup machines. They are beautiful. As someone said, if I spend one grand on such a machine, I have very high expectations about they way it looks.
All in all, highly recommended.
16 February 2016
Rated 5 out of 5 by janeadd wonderful coffee
This machine was a a birthday present and I have had so much pleasure from it., It makes very good expresso, latte, black coffee, flat whites etc (there is a huge menu of different coffees). It cleans itself, including the milk frother and I like the fact that you put the milk in the mug, rather than having a fridge container and a tube as is the case with other machines. The coffee is hugely better than the capsule machine I had before.
06 December 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by jrmch Great Auto machine
Excellent coffee no hassle, but you can mess about if you like.
I had a siemens bean to cup which produces (still) excellent coffee, but wanted something a bit nicer to look at and one that does the milk too.
I was worried about a couple of things A. Not being able to do really nice coffee / textured milk / latte art. B. Milk getting stuck in milk pipes etc..
So as for problem A I have setup my own Milk recipe in my profile, with the heating set at 60secs and 0 milk frothing, this gives quite a good micro foam, which is necessary for latte art. (OK it is removing the advantage of a super-auto machine but i like messing about sometimes)
The other problem B is fine as the steam wand goes into a tube and gets rinsed everytime, you can then run a more comprehensive clean which uses the cleaning fluid built into the door. You can also unscrew the tube and clean manually too.
OK critiscisms then,
1.The cup warmer doesnt really work it is too low to actually do anything or I am doing it wrong.
2. Not enough flexibility with menus, i.e you can do a double espresso but have to select 2x beans, on a single shot you can select 3xbeans. - options like american are only 150ml (ish) - i want a bigger americano, i'd like to programme my own recipes with more steps/options, i.e xyzml of milk then x2 shots of coffee etc..
3. You set the date and time on the machine....why it doesnt actually do anything? i.e no auto turn on / off (although it will turn off after x minutes
4. drip tray - I am constantly having to empty it, seriously after maybe 2-3 coffees you have to empty it.
5. Ground coffee tube - could do with being able to put more coffee in (can only use 1 scoop) - or even a double scoop option.
6. Could do with some back menu options, sometimes you end up in a dead end
Overall though I am very pleased (My own mom describing me as 'very particular') - it does make really good coffee, you can mess about or in the morning you can just get it do give you a coffee.
09 June 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by KA68 Unbelievable
This machine is unbelievable, heats up in less than 60 seconds, takes beans and ground coffee which is useful for Decaf. It is the first machine I have owned for which I have no need of the manual. Follow instructions on machine screen and you can not go wrong. You can select coffee temperature, milk temp. and change milk frothing time. All coffee drinks are superb and best of all it cleans itself. You get what you pay for.
22 March 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by brissimon Great machine
I've tried lots of high end bean to cup machines in the search of one that produces a hot cacppuccino and have finally found it - this machine is great - easy to use and it cleans itself - I'm very impressed
22 January 2015
Rated 5 out of 5 by ttrtony Love it
Very user friendly and makes excellent piping hot coffee, our trusted filter machine is now redundant. It isn't quite one touch and you tend to be emptying and filling often. Latte, cappuccino, expresso, all very impressive. I would definitely recommend this machine.
13 December 2014
Rated 3 out of 5 by JaDee MISINFORMATION
This machine produces very good hot coffee but does NOT have a cup warmer and does NOT have a programmable on/off switch which would allow you to set the machine to come on when you want it to. John Lewis were made aware of this misrepresentation last Saturday (1st Nov 2014) but have clearly done nothing to provide correct information. I was compensated by John Lewis.
06 November 2014
Rated 5 out of 5 by NJWUK Probably worth every penny.
I've just bought one of these machines. Yes it's expensive but after 30 mins with it I'm convinced it's probably worth it. Setup is so easy - no need to really read the manual as the display tells you exactly what to do. The first coffee was a latte - simple to make and no mess with milk containers and pipes as it self cleans. Customising different types of coffee is straightforward and easily programmed under your name. Am working my way through the coffee varieties and so far all good. Even a very authentic espresso.
17 August 2014