Make Your Own Christmas Wreath, Traditional
If you’re after a traditional style wreath, classic red, green and gold create an instantly festive look. Look out for berries, pine cones and tartan ribbon and you’ll create a warm and welcoming front door that will greet your guests this Christmas.
How to create a traditional wreath:
- Start by laying your chosen decorations on the wreath to get a sense of how the final design will look.
- Mix large and small picks, flowers and trims and group them together in uneven numbers for a professional finish. Remember: wired flowers and berries can be pulled apart to create a number of smaller trims.
- When you are happy with your design, start assembling your wreath by winding ribbon in an even pattern. Contrast different thicknesses, textures and colours to create a more opulent look. Wind all the ribbons in one direction or layer a clockwise ribbon over one wound counter clockwise.
- Once your ribbon is in place, secure the ends by tying them together where they will be hidden. Take your wired trims and secure them onto your wreath but threading the wired end through the centre and twist these into the wreath structure to secure. For extra security, you could also add a dab of glue.
- Finish your wreath with an oversized bow and trim the ends into a V shape for a neat finish.
- Secure a loop of ribbon at the back and your handmade wreath is ready to hang.