Margherita Pizza by Weber
Try making a classic margherita pizza on your barbecue using the Weber® Original™ Round Pizza Stone.
For the pizza dough
- 2 tsp easy blend dried yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 200ml warm water
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
For the topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano - 600g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 225g buffalo mozzarella, sliced and patted dry with kitchen paper - Large bunch basil leaves
1) For the pizza dough mix the yeast, sugar, flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the warm water and olive oil and mix well into a dough. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Put into a clean bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
2) Meanwhile, to make the topping, heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until softened, add the oregano and tomatoes then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, add the sugar and seasoning before cooking uncovered for a further 10 minutes until sauce is thickened.
3) Knead the dough again for a few minutes. Cut baking paper into two circles, 25cm/10inch in diameter and lightly oil each sheet of paper on one side. Divide the dough in two and roll or press the dough flat on the oiled side of the paper.
4) Divide the tomato sauce between each pizza base and spread evenly with the back of a spoon, arranging the sliced mozzarella on top.
5) Place each pizza (with the paper) on to a pre-heated Weber pizza stone in the barbecue. Remove the baking paper after 3-4 minutes.
6) Remove from the heat and top each pizza with a handful of basil leaves. Serve half a pizza per person.