Our free Gift List service is the most popular in the country. It's most commonly used for weddings, but is also available for anniversaries, christenings, bar mitzvahs and birthdays - whenever you're having a special celebration for which friends and family will want to buy gifts.
Our service makes the whole process easy for guests and list holders alike, allowing you to focus on organising the rest of the celebration.
You simply register your gift list online, in store, or over the phone and set up a list of the gifts you'd like to receive, either online or one of our shops - the best time to do this is 8 weeks before the event.
If you opt to come in store, we'll explain the service to you and give you a hand-held scanner, so that you can work your way around the shop "zapping" the items you want added to your list. You can also book this initial scanning appointment online - see below.
Online booking is available for your in-store scanning appointment in all our shops (except Knight & Lee, Heathrow, St Pancras International, and Tunbridge Wells, Chichester, Croydon, Newbury, Poole, Swindon and Tamworth at Homes), or call
View terms and conditions for appointments
You'll have a choice of up to 350,000 products, and our Never Knowingly Undersold price commitment means you can be sure of best prices. In addition, most electrical products have guarantees of 2-5 years
Your guest can choose to buy online, in store or over the phone
There are exclusive beauty services in our shops for brides and grooms - find out more
You can opt to receive donations towards a Kuoni honeymoon, John Lewis Gift Vouchers, or Cancer Research UK
We'll collate all your gifts together and deliver on a day to suit you
1. Don't underestimate how generous friends and family can be! Guests like to have a good range of gifts to choose from, and we often find people have to make a second trip to add to their list.
2. Make a longer list than you think you'll need. You can always flag the items you really want as priorities, which is easier than having to go back to your list to add additional items. We'll print a summary that provides you with a price listing /number of gifts at this value.
3. Leave yourself plenty of time to scan your list. Picking out your chosen gifts can take a little longer than you first might realise, and our wealth of selection can be a bit mind-boggling!
If you're really pushed for time to visit or even to view the selection online, the answer is to set up a gift voucher-only list. Pick up your vouchers after your celebration, and then shop 'til you drop!
4. Don't select all your gifts too far in advance of the big day - there's a risk that something may be discontinued or be out of stock when someone comes to buy it. 8 weeks is about right, and your guests can then start buying 6 weeks before the wedding.
5. You can think big too. If you'd like to place a larger gift on your list, such as a TV, this is also possible - or you can ask for gift vouchers which will then go towards a big purchase. You can place a pop-up message saying 'B & G would appreciate contributions towards a sofa...' Guests can always leave an amusing message like 'I bought the right leg'.
7. Add extra table settings if you're choosing tableware - to allow for breakages. Check to make sure your favourite is dishwasher-safe if that's a factor for you.
8. Allow 2 sets per person for Towels - choose from bath sheets to hand towels and face cloths, and remember to add extras for guests.
9. Don't forget to measure up at home! We carry a fantastic range of light fittings and rugs, but before you choose make sure they're going to fit your room.
10. You can also request contibutions towards a dream honeymoon with Kuoni, John Lewis Gift Vouchers, or donations to Cancer Research UK. Just ask us how.
11. John Lewis Wedding Insurance can take care of your big day, covering venues, flowers and photographers for starters - get a quote here.
12. Let us help with your personalised wedding stationery - your invitations, orders of service, menus, thank-you cards and so on - just ask in our Stationery department. You'll also find a wide range of blank stationery and accessories.