Roast Lemon & Herb Chicken by Meyer
Tip: The lovely juices from the chicken make a great base for the gravy.
Ingredients:- 1 lemon
- 2 handfuls fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary and sage
- 1 free range chicken
- 3 slices (about 40g) Parma ham 25 g soft butter
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp plain flour glass of white wine (about 100 ml)
- Water from the beans or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp redcurrant jelly if you have some or 1 tsp light soft brown sugar
- 500 g new potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g green beans, trimmed
- Mixture of green salad, to serve
- Redcurrant jelly, to serve (optional)
Instructions:1) Make small holes all over the lemon with a fork and then push inside the chicken with a handful of the herbs.
2) Chop the rest of the herbs finely and put into a bowl. Chop the pancetta into small pieces and add to the herbs with the butter and freshly ground black pepper. Mix everything together.
3) Spoon the butter mixture under the skin. Scatter the garlic cloves and bay leaves in the roasting tray and sit the chicken on the rack and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
4) Put the new potatoes into a small roaster, drizzle with oil and roast alongside the chicken for 30 minutes or until cooked and slightly golden.
5) Using the rack handles lift the chicken out of the roasting tin.
6) Spoon out some of the fat from the tin. Add the flour to the tin and cook over a gently heat.
7) Steam the green beans. Add the wine and cook until reduced. Add enough of the bean water (or vegetable stock) to make a good gravy and add the redcurrant jelly or sugar and season to taste.
8) Add the beans to the salad and serve the roast chicken with the roast potatoes and salad.