Sticky Date Cake by Meyer
Tip: If you want to be really indulgent you may like to serve with cream or creme fraiche. Natural yogurt is also a good and slightly healthier option.
Serves: approx 6-8
Ingredients:- 250 g dates – stoned (stones removed)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100 ml boiling water
- 175 g soft butter
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 3 free-range eggs
- 175 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the sauce:- 75 g butter
- 100 g light soft brown sugar
- few drops vanilla extract
- 600 ml double cream
Instructions:1) Chop the dates into small pieces and put into a small bowl. Add the bicarbonate of soda to the boiling water and pour over the dates, leave to soak while you make the sponge cake.
2) In a big bowl beat together the softened butter, sugar and vanilla extract until pale and creamy.
3) Add the eggs a little at a time and beat them into the butter mixture.
4) Add the flour and baking powder and mix everything together. Add the dates and stir quickly until mixed.
5) Spoon the mixture into the greased tin, bake for 15 minutes. Cover with baking paper and bake for another 10 minutes or until cooked and slightly springy to touch.
6) Meanwhile, make the sauce – put all of the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan and heat very gently stirring until the sugar has melted. Once the sugar has melted, simmer the sauce until it has thickened.
7) Pour half the sauce over the cake and pour the rest into a jug to serve alongside the cake.