Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Telephoto Lens
The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens offers a professional level telephoto zoom. Its flexible approach towards a range of photography opportunities is all down to its superlative handling and consistently high image quality, so its a great choice for capturing wildlife and sports.
This lens is compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and Extender EF 2x II.
An L-series telephoto super zoom lens, the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM comes equipped with a floating optical system which ensures that the picture quality is good at all focal lengths. Its versatile zoom range of 100-400mm makes it ideal for close-up and action shots.
The autofocus is driven incredibly quickly and almost inaudibly thanks to the ring-type ultrasonic motor. With excellent holding torque, the point of focus will be reached accurately without risk of overshooting. You can adjust the focus yourself whilst still in AF mode with full-time manual override options.
This lens is ideal for handheld photography thanks to its three stop Image Stabiliser (IS). You can use shutter speeds up to three stops slower than usual without any perceptible increase in blur in your images. If there is major movement in any one direction, the lens will interpret this as panning and will automatically turn off IS.
High image quality
Throughout the zoom range, low distortion, high contrast and good corner-to-corner resolution remains evident. An electromagnetically controlled, virtually circular aperture diaphragm gives regions which are out-of-focus a softer, more even feel, and makes in-focus subjects stand out against a blurred background.
- L-series quality
- Image Stabilizer
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.8m
- Fluorite and Super UD lens elements
- Circular aperture diaphragm
- E-TTL II distance metering
- Angle of View Information The amount of the scene the lens can take in
- 20° - 5°10', 14° - 3°30', 24° - 6°10'
- Autofocus Motor Information Built-In autofocus engine to supplement your camera
- Camera Type
- Digital SLR
- Diaphragm Blades Information The amount of blades used to create the aperture
- H92 x W92 x D189mm
- Equivalent Focal Length Information Focal length when viewed through cameras with a cropped sensor
- Filter Thread (mm) Information Section inside the front that allows accessories like filters and hoods to be attached
- Focal Length Information The distance from the sensor and the optical centre of the lens when focused to infinity
- Image Stabilisation Information Irons out blur and shake, so your shots are super-sharp
- Lens Elements Information Amount of glass pieces that make up the lens
- Lens Groups Information Amount of compounds that make up the lens
- Lens Mount Information Type of camera fitting
- Canon EF
- Magnification Information The extent in which the lens can amplify the size of a subject
- Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)
- Maximum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio
- Minimum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- 32 - 38¹
- Minimum Focus Distance Information The closest you can get to your subject without losing focus
- Model name / number
- Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Telephoto Lens 9524B005AA
- Sensor Format
- Tripod Collar Information Sometimes called a lens collar, this accessory lets the lens be mounted on a tripod
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
Click & collect
- Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops tomorrow from 2pm
- Collect + from a local shop from tomorrow, postcode exclusions apply
- Standard delivery within 5 working days
- Next or named day delivery
- Named day UK delivery pre-10.30am
International delivery not available
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy
Q & As
Take advantage of our experience in seeking out your ideal camera.