Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens
The Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM is a natural choice for portraiture. A short telephoto focal length, combined with a large maximum aperture and fast autofocus speed, make the EF 85mm f/1.8 USM flexible enough for impromptu shoots, or dedicated studio work.
- The EF 85mm f/1.8 USM produces images that are sharp and clear at all apertures. A virtually circular aperture diaphragm gives out-of-focus regions a softer, more even feel, and lets in-focus subjects stand out against a blurred background. The lens features a non-rotating front element during focusing, enabling specialist filters (such as polarisers and graduates) to be used.
- A large maximum aperture of f/1.8 lets photographers shoot hand-held in difficult, low-light conditions, as well as restrict depth-of-field for creative effects.
- The short telephoto focal length of the lens slightly compresses perspective, reducing the size of prominent facial features for a flattering result.
- A ring-type ultrasonic motor drives autofocus extremely quickly, and in near silence. Excellent holding torque ensures the point of focus is reached accurately, without overshooting. Furthermore, full-time manual override is available, making it possible to adjust focus without leaving AF mode.
- Super Spectra coatings ensure accurate colour balance and enhance contrast. They also reduce flare and ghosting – a common problem caused by light bouncing off a camera's sensor.
- The lens passes distance information back to a compatible EOS camera's E-TTL II flash system to ensure optimal flash metering.
- For use with EF mount Canon DSLR cameras
- Autofocus Motor Information Built-In autofocus engine to supplement your camera
- Yes- USM
- Diaphragm Blades Information The amount of blades used to create the aperture
- L71.5 x Dia.75 mm
- Eligible for International Delivery
- Equivalent Focal Length Information Focal length when viewed through cameras with a cropped sensor
- 137mm (APS-C 1.6x crop factor)
- Filter Thread (mm) Information Section inside the front that allows accessories like filters and hoods to be attached
- Focal Length Information The distance from the sensor and the optical centre of the lens when focused to infinity
- 1 year
- Image Stabilisation Information Irons out blur and shake, so your shots are super-sharp
- Lens Elements Information Amount of glass pieces that make up the lens
- Lens Groups Information Amount of compounds that make up the lens
- Lens Mount Information Type of camera fitting
- Canon EF
- Maximum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Minimum Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Minimum Focus Distance Information The closest you can get to your subject without losing focus
- 85cm (2.79')
- Model name / number
- EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
- Sensor Format
- Full frame, Canon APS-C
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
Click & collect
- Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops tomorrow from 2pm
- Collect + from a local shop from tomorrow, postcode exclusions apply
- Standard delivery within 5 working days
- Named or Saturday UK delivery
- Named day UK delivery pre-10.30am
International delivery not available
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy
Q & As
Take advantage of our experience in seeking out your ideal camera.