John Lewis Service Plans were superseded by our Added Care scheme in June 2014, but of course if you've purchased a Service Plan it will still cover you until it expires.
Your Service Plan covers breakdown costs outside the guarantee period, or insure for repair costs incurred as a result of accidental damage (not usually covered by the service guarantee).
Please note that your household contents insurance may also provide cover against accident, fire or theft.
If you purchased one of our Service Plans, part of the offer ensures that you are covered for Accidental Damage insurance with London General Insurance Company Ltd. Please note that this type of cover is available to purchase elsewhere, and that your household insurance may provide, or be purchased to provide, the necessary cover.
Whether or not you purchased a Service Plan, you have various statutory rights that apply to the purchase of your electrical goods. These include the right to claim for a repair or replacement for up to 6 years (5 in Scotland) if your electrical product was not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose when we sold it to you. If a fault occurs within the first 6 months, it's up to us to establish that the product you purchased was of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. However, after the first 6 months, you'll have to prove that the product had a fault when we first sold it to you.
Our Service Plans are provided by a UK-based insurance company, London General Insurance Company Limited, which means that they're covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation if they're unable to meet their liabilities. Service Plans are also available from alternative providers such as manufacturers and insurance companies. Some household contents insurance policies cover for accidental damage, fire or theft.
You may cancel your Service Plan for any reason within 45 days and receive a full refund of the premium, provided you haven't made a claim. After 45 days, you may cancel the Service Plan and receive a pro rata refund based on the remaining period of full unexpired months of cover, regardless of whether a claim has been made, except where the Service Plan has ceased.
If you make a claim under this Service Plan then we'll continue to provide cover until it expires, unless we refund the cost of your item or replace it, in which case the Service Plan will cease.
Accidental damage insurance – what is covered
1. Repair costs if your product breaks down as a result of an accident, (subject to the following terms and conditions) Cover will apply from receipt of your payment throughout your guarantee period and will continue until expiry of your service plan.
2. Cover is limited to the replacement cost of a new product of identical model and type. Should the identical product not be available, we will discuss an alternative replacement with you.
Accidental damage insurance – what isn't covered
1. Breakdown covered under the terms and conditions of your service plan (see above).
2. Repair costs for:
- Work covered by a manufacturer recall of the product;
- Consumer replaceable items including, but not limited to, batteries, light bulbs and other consumable items;
- Cosmetics items such as cabinet trim, scratches and rust;
- Breakdown caused by use other than personal by you or your resident family;
- Deliberate damage or neglect.
3. Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product, or any loss other than the repair and/or the replacement cost of the product.
4. Call out charges where no fault has been found with the product.
Claiming for accidental damage
1. Telephone 0330 100 3250 to arrange for an authorised repairer to inspect the covered product. You will be asked for:
- Contract number;
- Your name and address;
- Date when the accident occurred; and
- Make and model of your product.
2. The repairer MUST telephone to obtain authority for either the repair cost or replacement product.
1. The insurance will be provided for products bought and used in the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
2. This agreement shall be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with the laws of England and each party hereby submits to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
3. You cannot transfer the insurance to someone else without our prior permission.
4. If a payment or replacement is made because the product is considered uneconomical or not possible to repair, then the cover ceases, and we may take possession of the product and dispose of it.
Customer service for service plans
In the unlikely event of a complaint concerning this insurance please contact:
Operations Manager, John Lewis Service Plan Administrator, PO Box 99, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0AF
If after this the matter remains unresolved please contact:
Customer Satisfaction Manager, John Lewis Service Plan Administrator, PO Box 99, Mitcheldean, Gloucestershire, GL17 0AF
London General Insurance Ltd will confirm to you receipt of your complaint within five working days and do their best to resolve the complaint within four weeks. If they cannot, they will let you know when an answer may be expected.
If they have not resolved the situation within eight weeks they will provide you with information about the Financial Ombudsman Service.
For customers resident in the UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, this insurance is underwritten by London General Insurance Company Ltd whose registered office is: Floor 2, Integra House, Vicarage Road, Egham, Surrey, TW20 9JZ and is governed by English Law.
London General Insurance Company Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is a member of the Association of British insurers.
Service Plan Ltd and John Lewis plc undertake to comply with the Association of British Insurer's Code of Practice for the selling of General Insurance and are designated as company agents, for which the companies they represent accept responsibility. A copy of the Code is available on request.
Notice to customers
Any details you supply will be held by John Lewis plc, London General Insurance Company Ltd, Service Plan Limited and their Administrators who will have access to these details only for the purposes of administering your service plan. These details will not be kept for longer than necessary. You are entitled to a copy of this information.
You are advised that any telephone calls made to Service Plan's Administration and Claims Handling Units are recorded. These recordings may be used to monitor the accuracy of information provided by customers and our own staff, and may also be used to allow additional training to be provided to our staff or to prove that our procedures comply with legal requirements. Staff are aware that conversations may be monitored and recorded. From time to time Service Plan may contact you to ask if you have been satisfied with the service. You will be under no obligation to answer these questions but they will be grateful for your co-operation which will help them improve standards.