Troubleshooting your dishwasher
We understand how frustrating it is when a trusted home appliance breaks down, and if you've bought your machine from us, we want to help you resolve the issue as soon as possible.
If your appliance is still under guarantee, please carry out a few simple checks as we advise below, and also check your manufacturer's manual (especially if your machine is displaying an error code) before you go to the trouble of calling our Technical Support line.
My dishwasher is stopping/pausing or not draining
If your machine is stopping/pausing:
- Check to see if anything is obstructing the moving parts (like the spray arms) when loading the machine
If there's a draining issue:
- There could be a blockage preventing your machine from draining. This could be in a number of places inside or outside the appliance.
- First, clean all filters and the pump housing (the area that the filters sit in) - check the instruction manual for details
- Empty the machine and do a full cycle wash on the hottest setting
- Use a drain clearing product down your kitchen sink
My dishwasher isn’t cleaning properly
This may be caused by overloading the machine or by clogged filters.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for loading your machine
- Remove the filters and rinse them thoroughly in hot water - check your instruction manual for guidance
- Check salt and rinse aid levels
- Empty your machine and do a hot wash with a dishwasher cleaning product
- Remove all food residue from plates and utensils before you add them to the machine
My dishwasher won't fill or won't empty
If your machine won't fill:
- Make sure that the water taps at the back of your appliance are fully turned on
- Check that the pipes are not kinked or squashed
- If an appliance is full, it must drain first - see below if your machine isn't draining.
If your machine won't empty:
For a new appliance:
- Make sure that the waste hose has been correctly installed
- If your appliance empties into an under-sink waste system, check that the blanking plate has been removed from the waste entry point
For an appliance already in use:
- Make sure the filter in the base of your dishwasher is clean and free from any blockages
- Then check that the waste hose has not become trapped or kinked, as this could also prevent waste water emptying out of your machine
My cutlery is becoming rusty or discoloured
First, check that the cutlery is dishwasher safe.
- Cast iron pots and pans can start to rust where they’re cleaned in a dishwasher - this can result in the rust spreading onto other items such as your cutlery or the tub of your dishwasher
- It's best to avoid washing these items in the dishwasher
- If you wash silver cutlery in the dishwasher, it needs to be separated from stainless steel
My dishes and glasses have cloudy or white marks on them
- Not all glassware is dishwasher-safe, so do check first
- Otherwise the marks could be a possible calcium deposit
- All-in-one dishwasher tablets may not contain enough salt for the water in your area, so try using dishwasher salt, which improves washing performance and protects your dishwasher
- Some dishwashers allow you to adjust the salt use according to the hardness of water in your area