Herbed Lamb Kebabs with Toasted Couscous and Vegetables by Weber
A great balmy evening barbecue dinner recipe.
Ingredients:- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, quartered, cored and seeded
- 225g baby courgette, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 450g asparagus
- 1 bonesless leg of lanb, about 450g, trimmed of excess fat, cut into one and a half inch cubes
For the marinade- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tso dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- ½ tsp chopped fresh mint
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the couscous- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 235g couscous
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp toasted pine nuts
Instructions:1) In a small bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.
2) Arrange the vegetables on a plate and brush all sides with some of the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.
3) Place the lamb cubes in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag several times to distribute the marinade, place the bag in a bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
4) In a medium saucepan over low heat, warm the oil and cook the garlic until it sizzles. Stir in the couscous. Cook - stirring over low heat - until the couscous begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add one and three quarter cups of water and the salt and heat to boiling. Stir once. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with the pine nuts.
5) Remove the lamb cubes from the bag and discard the marinade. Thread the cubes onto skewers. Grill the skewers and the vegetables over direct medium heat (180°C to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is medium rare and the vegetables are cooked through, about 8 minutes, turning once. Serve the kebabs warm with the couscous and vegetables.