Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 Compact System Camera, 4K UHD, 20.3MP, Wi-Fi, OLED Live Viewfinder, 3.2” LCD Vari-Angle Touch Screen, Body Only
Panasonic's GH5 is an awesomely capable compact system camera. With a larger sensor than its predecessor, refined Venus Engine and more powerful image stabilisation, stills and movies are incredibly detailed and breathtakingly lifelike. Stunning 4K UHD video resolution runs at an ultra-smooth 60p for the first time, and 6K Photo shooting allows you to select that perfect split-second still from a burst file to save as a high-quality image. With super-fast autofocus, a live viewfinder and a highly flexible touch screen, all housed in a rugged body built for the outdoor life, the GH5 delivers unprecedented picture quality in the history of Lumix cameras.
Superb Sensor & Venus Engine
At 20.3 megapixels, the Digital LIVE MOS Sensor is 25% bigger than that of the GH4 benefitting superb resolution, image rendering and colour reproduction, while the removal of the low-pass filter maximises the level of detail possible. The refined Venus Engine processor achieves amazing image quality, especially with Natural Texture Expression for breathtakingly lifelike natural tones. It analyses the characteristic and optimally processes each individual pixel for stunning detail, realism and suppression of false colour. High Precision Multi Process Noise Reduction boasts four times the accuracy on the previous model, so visual noise is countered and detail is retained, meaning low-light photos can be clearly shot at high ISOs of 25600. Stills and movies are blur-free: in conjunction with a compatible lens, powerful 5-axis dual image stabilisation compensates for larger, previously uncontrollable movements, making it equivalent to shooting at a maximum 5 stop slower shutter speed. Perfect for telephoto and single-handed use, and all in stunning 4K.
For the first time, 4K UHD video runs at up to 60p (i.e. frame refreshes per second) for unbelievably smooth and ultra-detailed footage. It also means you can slow your footage down without losing any fine detail. The sensor and venus engine combine to suppress rolling distortion, while faster quality signal reading ensures every single frame is of outstanding quality. Special film characteristic styles ('Cinelike D' and 'Cinelike V' for example) are available to give your work that authentic film feel, and with no recording duration limit you can go beyond 30 minutes in all settings.
The 6K Photo feature allows you to extract an 18MP resolution image from a 6K Burst Shooting File running at 30 frames per second, so you will always master that one perfect split-second moment, in beautifully glorious detail.
Using improved Depth from Defocus technology, autofocus is increased on the previous model up to a super-fast 0.05sec at 12 frames per second. So it's easy to keep locked onto fast moving subjects and keep them super-sharp. The frame contains 225 focus points, and you can customise a focal group using the thumb joystick. Meanwhile the Post Focus function even makes it possible to select the area of focus after you've taken the shot.
Live Viewfinder and Vari-angle Touch Screen
The large OLED Live Viewfinder boasts an amazing magnification ratio of 1.52x (0.76x 35mm camera equivalent), while the rear touch screen achieves approx. 100% field of view and can be positioned at any angle so you can always find the perfect shot, even in the trickiest environment.
Integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi makes wireless connection with your smart device easy, for instant sharing of your work.
The GH5 is tough enough to withstand heavy use in the field. Composed of magnesium alloy and joint-sealed, not only is it splash and dust proof, but freeze-proof down to minus 10 degrees celsius. So it'll keep delivering incredible imagery through the toughest of photography adventures.
Lenses & Cases
One of the biggest advantages of this camera is the sheer shooting flexibility on offer. You can use additional lenses to take wide-angle, telephoto, or close-up shots to suit just about any situation. The shorter the focal length (measured in mm), the wider the view will be – the longer the focal length, the more telescopic the picture. With a selection of interchangeable lenses at your disposal, the creative possibilities are endless. Click here to browse our selection.
Take care of your new camera with one of our cases. Click here to view the range.
Note: Please check the compatibility with your camera.
- Accessories Included
- Battery Charger (AC Cable included), Battery Pack, Body Cap, Hot Shoe Cover, Eye Cup, Flash Syncro Socket Cap, Cover for the Battery Grip Connector, USB Connection Cable, Shoulder Strap, Cable Holder
- Autofocus Information This feature fixes onto the main subject and enhances focus on a snap's hot spots
- Battery life Information How long the battery lasts for (and if applicable) until it needs recharging
- Approx. 410 images (rear monitor), 400 images (LVF)
- Battery Size & Number
- Li-ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh, 14Wh)
- Built In Flash
- Camera Type
- Compact System
- Care instructions
- Included in packaging
- USB Type C, HDMI Type A, 3.5mm Headphone Out, Mic In
- Continuous Shooting Speed Information The amount of frames per second that can be shot in continuous shooting mode
- 30 fps
- H9.81 x W13.85 x D8.74cm (excluding protrusions)
- Direct printing Information Can connect to a compatible digital camera to print without the need to use a computer.
- TFT LCD monitor with static touch control
- Exclusive to John Lewis
- Face Detection Information Automatically detects faces and optimises focus, so they're the main subject/s of a snap
- File Formats
- JPEG, RAW, MP4, AVCHD
- Image Megapixels
- Image Stabilisation Information Irons out blur and shake, so your shots are super-sharp
- Lens Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Lens Size Information Also known as focal length, this is the distance from the sensor and the optical centre of the lens when focused to infinity
- Lens Type Information Whether it zoom, wide-angle or telephoto, different lens types serve different purposes
- Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)
- Maximum ISO Rating Information Defines the sensor's light sensitivity and, thus, performance in low-light settings
- Memory Card Type
- SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Model name / number
- NFC enabled Information Devices with NFC can be tapped together to establish a wireless connection for sending or streaming files and other data
- Night recording Information Ability to record at night or in complete darkness by using built-in infrared illumination
- Power Supply
- Rechargeable Battery
- Red-Eye Reduction Information Shuts outs red-eye in portraits and group photos
- Screen size Information Measured diagonally.
- Self Timer Information Lets you run into your own pictures by delaying it being taken by a few seconds after the shutter is pressed
- Sensor Size
- 17.3 x 13.0 mm
- Sensor Type
- Live MOS Sensor
- Shooting Modes
- Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom 1, 2, 3, 4, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709
- Shutter Speeds Information The amount of time is takes for the shutter to open and close. High speed lets you freeze action completely, slower ones allow motion blur
- Still image: Bulb (Max 30 minutes), 1/8000 - 60/Electronic first curtain shutter: Bulb (Max 30 minutes), 1/2000 - 60/Electronic shutter: 1/16000 - 1/Motion picture: 59.94Hz: 1/16000 - 1/30, 50.00Hz: 1/16000 - 1/25, 23.98Hz: 1/16000 - 1/24 (Synchro Scan)
- Smile Detection
- Sweep Panorama
- Touch Screen
- Tripod Thread Information Lets you attach a tripod to the camera's frame
- Video Resolution
- 3840 x 2160 pixels, 60p/50p
- Viewfinder Information The interface you look through to compose and focus your picture
- OLED Live View Finder (3,680k dots)
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
- Approx. 725g (SD card, Battery, Body). Approx. 645g (Body only)
- Wi-Fi enabled
Click & collect
- Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops Sunday from 2pm
- Collect + from a local shop from Monday, postcode exclusions apply
- Standard delivery within 5 working days
- Next or named day delivery
- Named day UK delivery pre-10.30am
International delivery not available
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy
Q & As
Take advantage of our experience in seeking out your ideal camera.