Samsung The Frame Art Mode TV, 55", Ultra HD Certified
Is it a beautiful piece of artwork or is it a TV with cutting edge technology? Samsung's The Frame is both. Samsung continue to evolve the home viewing experience by creating a TV that blends seamlessly and artistically into your living space. In standby mode it displays art, either from its own expandable library, or you can upload pictures and photos yourself, so your TV transforms into an art piece to enhance your living space. It can mount flush to the wall like a picture in a gallery, or be displayed on a stand (wall mount and basic stand included). And it's blessed with Samsung's latest top-notch TV tech. Enjoy a stunning Certified Ultra HD 4K HDR picture, access a world of online entertainment via Samsung's Smart Hub, and control all compatible devices via one remote control. The Frame is a masterpiece of home entertainment.
In Art Mode, instead of fading to a black screen on standby, the Frame displays a range of custom designed pieces of art, blending with your interior design.
Because it looks like a picture frame, its elegant looks enhance the surroundings, looking equally striking on or off.
Detecting ambient light, a sensor automatically adjusts the brightness to suit the environmental lighting, so the artwork is always displayed how it was meant to be seen.
Customisable Frame Bezel
It's customisable too, with a choice of wooden bezel colour frames available (sold separately) so you can find the perfect match to your interior. Each frame attaches and detaches easily with magnets.
Your Own Art Collection
Frame your most loved moments. Upload your own photos or pictures from your smart phone or via USB stick.
Samsung Art Collection
The Frame includes its own gallery of images, including landscapes, wildlife, architecture, still life, digital art and drawing, with an exceptional further selection available to purchase from the Samsung Art Store.
Easily customise the background mount colour and layout of the art to best match your interior design.
Smart View App
By using the Smart View App (available on iOS and Android) you can browse artwork and control The Frame, all from your mobile device.
When The Frame detects motion in the room it can ensure an image is displayed, fading to black when the room's empty to save power.
Using the No-Gap wall mount (included), The Frame can be hung flush to the wall, just like an actual picture. And the Near Invisible Optical Cable (included) eliminates cable clutter from around the TV.
4K UHD with Upscaling
The Frame's Certified Ultra HD 4K resolution screen takes you to the next level of viewing experience. Four times the number of pixels of 1080p Full HD delivers stunning realism, natural motion and incredible detail. Experience this high-spec picture on everything you watch thanks to 4K upscaling. Samsung's innovative upscaling technology converts lower resolution content to a level of detail near UHD.
HDR with Active Crystal Colour
Samsung are one of the forerunners of colour-boosting High Dynamic Range (HDR). As members of the UHD Alliance, they've engineered HDR heightened by their Active Crystal Colour technology. This tech delivers over 17 million colours and a 20% wider colour space than conventional UHD. This makes shades sharper, the image deeper, and colours endlessly rich.
Get rid of the clutter of multiple controls. The Samsung One Remote can control all your compatible devices for seamless multi-tasking. So with compatible components you can switch channels on your set-top box, adjust the volume on the sound bar, or surf the web on the big screen, all via one controller.
One Connect Box
The control unit of the Frame is the separate One Connect Box, connected by Near-Invisible optical cable (5m cable supplied, 15m cable sold separately). It can be sited discretely, even hidden from view in a cupboard because the remote control works via Bluetooth. Both Frame TV and One Connect Box require connection to mains power.
Samsung Smart Hub
Now faster, with ultra-high definition streaming, catch-up and games services, is the latest Smart Hub platform. This quick and easy platform marks a massive step forward for the connected home. Access the latest apps to experience the best UHD content from Netflix and Amazon*. You can even browse content easily, searching for your favourite programmes and movies while you are still watching TV. Powering the seamless interaction is the powerful Quad Core processor which significantly boosts performance with faster access to Smart features. Enjoy super-fast response times, as you use and toggle between apps, online services and live TV with ease. You can even use voice control by engaging S Voice on the remote.
Experience easy access to the latest movies via your TV guide in addition to all your traditional TV channels. Whether you’re browsing for the latest Hollywood blockbuster or trying to find Ultra HD content, expand your viewing options through a wealth of additional Smart channels with Samsung TV Plus. Watch subscription free content with on-air and catch-up services (charges apply for premium on-demand content).
Music: With this smart feature, instantly recognise and listen to any background music.*
With TVs getting slimmer and built-in speakers getting smaller, choosing the right sound system is more important than ever. Soundbars enhance your TV’s sound quality and add that extra audio punch to all your movies, games and TV programmes. More affordable and easier to set up than a full size speaker system, they don’t compromise on quality either.
Take a look at our full range of soundbars.
If you want to connect your TV to a blu-ray player, games console, soundbar or soundbase then you'll need a HDMI cable.
View our collection of cables & connections
*Some services may require subscription (sold separately)
*Please note: A Smart TV is a platform that can run 3rd party Apps. 3rd party content providers may remove Apps from the Smart TV platform or stop supporting them at any time, and we cannot guarantee an App’s availability. When new Smart TV products are launched, there may also be a delay before certain Apps become available. Availability of Apps is not included within the terms of the manufacturer’s warranty, or the John Lewis 2-year Guarantee for audio visual products, or the 5-year Guarantee for TVs.
Delivery information: If you buy a sound bar or DVD/Blu-ray player along with this TV, please note that they'll be delivered separately.
- 3D Ready
- 3D Technology Type Information Active 3D works from battery-powered glasses. Passive 3D works with an on-screen filter and regular glasses
- Accessories Included
- Remote Control, Batteries, Manual, No Gap Wall Mount, Basic Stand, One Connect Box with Invisible Connection (5 m)
- Audio Quality Information Different manufacturers use different sound systems to improve your audio experience
- Dolby Digital +
- Digital tuner Information Built-in digital tuners let you receive channels through an aerial with Freeview or through a satellite dish with freesat
- With Frame: H71.14 x W124.06 x D4.45cm. Without Frame: H70.63 x W123.5 x D4.25cm. One Connect Box: H3.4 x W36.4 x D13.4cm
- Dimensions With Stand
- H75.07 x W123.5 x D20cm.
- DLNA Information Digital Living Network Alliance compatible - lets you build a digital network around the home with other DLNA devices
- Energy Rating Information Graded on performance, from A+++ to G, with A+++ being the highest rating. Higher ratings mean better energy efficiency
- Exclusive to John Lewis
- Freesat built in
- Hard drive Information Stores files and programmes. A portion of this may already be consumed by pre-installed data.
- HDR Information Expanding contrast ratio and colour palettes, this product’s High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatibility gives greater glow and visual depth than regular HD content.
- Headphone socket
- Internet Ready Information Internet enabled devices allow you access to a wealth of online content through Wi-Fi, dongle or Ethernet connection.
- Yes - Built-in Wi-Fi
- Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)
- Model name / number
- NFC enabled Information Devices with NFC can be tapped together to establish a wireless connection for sending or streaming files and other data
- Number of tuners Information These are built-in the TV to access digital television channels, radio stations or even HD channels at no extra cost
- Operating system Information Determines the interface you see on screen and the types of programmes you can run.
- Samsung Smart TV
- Packaged Dimensions
- H81.9 x W140.2 x D21cm.
- Picture Resolution Information A higher picture resolution makes for greater clarity, depth and detail which can be enjoyed sat closer to the screen
- 4K Ultra HD
- Ports Information Ports used to connect other devices, for example USB to connect peripherals or HDMI to connect to a high definition display.
- 4 x HDMI 2.0 (ARC; CEC), 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x Optical Audio Out, 1 x Ethernet, 2 x Satellite In
- Power Consumption - Annual Information Estimated energy use for a full year's use, based on EU regulations
- 143 kWh
- Power Consumption - On Mode Information The average daily power consumption based on EU measures. Rated power consumption based on maximum continuous use may differ.
- Power Consumption - Stand By Information Amount used when on standby, based on EU regulations
- Programmable Timer
- Recording Capacity (hours)
- Refresh Rate Information The speed at which the screen is refreshed. Please note, manufacturers tend to use their own measurements for refresh rate, so these may not always be comparable.
- 120Hz (Samsung Picture Quality Index: 2100)
- Remote Control
- Screen Resolution Information Picture quality defined by the number of individual dots (pixels) used to create an image. The higher the number of pixels, the higher the image quality.
- 3840 x 2160 pixels (4K)
- Screen size Information Measured diagonally.
- Screen Type Information LED screens are backlit, with multiple light-emitting diodes; OLEDs use individual organic light-emitting diodes with no backlight; QLEDs use Quantum Dot technology to provide excellent levels of contrast, colour reproduction and energy efficiency
- Smart TV Information Connects to the home Wi-Fi to access apps including BBC iPlayer, stream from services such as Netflix and browse websites
- Speaker output Information The total output measured in watts. The higher the number, the louder the sound.
- Table Top Stand
- Viewing angle (horizontal / vertical) Information Higher figure will ensure more people seated around the display will be able to view it clearly
- 178 degrees
- Visible Screen Size (measured diagonally)
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
- With frame: 20.6kg. Without frame: 19.4kg.
TV Tech Explained
4K Ultra HD | also referred to as 4K and UHD, delivers four times the pixels of a Full HD screen to display unprecedented picture clarity and detail, even close up
High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Expanding contrast ratio and colour palettes, High Dynamic Range (HDR) gives greater glow and visual depth than regular HD content.
UHD Alliance| A band of TV brands, broadcasters and film producers that set Ultra HD standards. Members include LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Netflix, Disney, Warner Bros and Technicolor.
Ultra HD Certified | The manufacturer guarantees that the TV reaches specific Ultra HD picture quality and resolution benchmarks for true Ultra HD colour and clarity.
4K Upscaling | boosts standard definition and high definition content to a near 4K ultra-high definition picture quality
LED | LED-backlit TVs feature hundreds of small LEDs (light emitting diodes) to create a thin, light weight and energy efficient TV. This is perhaps the most common screen type on the market
Smart TV | streams online content through your home network to bring you access to digital content such as On Demand, and streaming services from the internet such as apps
Freesat HD | a satellite service which offers quality, free entertainment via a set top box or integrated receiver, in high definition
Wi-Fi | allows TVs, smartphones, computers and other devices to connect to the internet and communicate wirelessly
DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) | comprises consumer electronics manufacturers who have created an industry-wide standard to enable devices to share media, such as videos and photos, over a home network
Wireless connection | established via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC or DLNA
- Delivery from 3 working days (lead time and available slots vary by postcode; exclusions apply)
- Next day delivery to selected areas
International delivery not available
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy
TV Installation only
This service includes:
- Unpacking and fitting your TV and removal of packaging
- Connecting your TV to the aerial and tuning in to all available channels
- Connection of existing devices to your TV, such as a satellite box, freesat or DVD player
- Connecting a smart hub TV to the internet and giving a brief demonstration of how to access the key apps
- A test demonstration to show that picture and sound are working fully
The charge for this service includes the removal and environmentally-responsible disposal of your old TV
Q & As
Count on our expert opinion in picking your television.