Sony A5100 Compact System Camera with 16-50mm OSS Lens, HD 1080p, 24.3MP, Wi-Fi, NFC, OLED, 3" Tilting Touch Screen, Black
Focus quickly with the Sony Alpha ILCE-5100 interchangeable lens camera. This compact system camera uses a hybrid auto focus system with 179 points to ensure your subject is always looking sharp. Combined with a large CMOS sensor, touch screen and high ISO range, the A5100 will help you elevate your art.
Super fast focus
The A5100 features hybrid autofocus system with 179 focus points that allow it to quickly focus on and track your subject's moments. It'll help to deliver brilliant clarity and contrast for stills and movies, and ensure you never have to miss a shot. 4D Focus enables superior autofocus performance in four dimensions: wide autofocus coverage (2D height and width), fast autofocus speed (3D depth) and enhanced predictive tracking (4D time).
16-50mm OSS Lens
The included 16-50 mm lens is incredibly versatile, providing excellent wide angle performance, or zoomed in for perfect portrait shooting. A clever retracting mechanism makes is easy to store, while Optical SteadyShot technology will stabilise your snaps to help prevent unwanted blur.
Full size sensor
The same sensor format that Sony builds into the full-sized Alpha DSLRs gives the this camera more detail than typical point-and-shoot cameras. APS-C sensor size delivers an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous bokeh effect.
Less noise, greater clarity
A high ISO range of up to 25600 lets you shoot natural nuanced photos in dim light without a flash. The advanced BIONZ X image processor ensures superior noise reduction in low light, as well as superior colour and detail reproduction.
Tilting touch screen
Change your view with a tiltable LCD touch screen that flips up 180-degrees without sacrificing compactness. With touch, it's easy to choose the subject you want to focus on or navigate menus.
Full HD video
Capture HD Movies at 60p or a cinematic 24p frames per second, all at Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution. The AVCHD codec delivers stunning Blu-ray picture quality while the PC-friendly MP4 codec lets you compress to smaller 1080/30p files for easier uploading.
Wi-Fi & NFC
Lose the cords and cables – Wi-Fi and NFC capability lets you instantly connect to smartphones and tablets. Simply download the free PlayMemories Mobile App, touch it to your Android smartphone or tablet, and create a connection that lets you transfer photos, remotely control the camera's shutter release, and instantly receive the captured image via Wi-Fi.
Personalise your camera by adding new features of your choice with PlayMemories Camera Apps. Apps include enhanced portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot and much more. Use apps that shoot, share and save photos using Wi-Fi that make it easy to control and view your camera from smartphone, and post directly to Facebook.
Lenses & Cases
One of the biggest advantages of this camera is the sheer shooting flexibility on offer. You can use additional lenses to take wide-angle, telephoto, or close-up shots to suit just about any situation. The shorter the focal length (measured in mm), the wider the view will be – the longer the focal length, the more telescopic the picture. With a selection of interchangeable lenses at your disposal, the creative possibilities are endless. Click here to browse our selection.
Take care of your new camera with one of our cases. Click here to view the range.
Note: Please check the compatibility with your camera.
- Accessories Included
- Charger, battery, shoulder strap, body cap, micro USB cable, 16-50mm OSS lens
- Autofocus Information This feature fixes onto the main subject and enhances focus on a snap's hot spots
- Battery life Information How long the battery lasts for (and if applicable) until it needs recharging
- 400 shots per charge
- Battery Size & Number
- Li-ion NP-FW50
- Built In Flash
- Camera Type
- Compact System
- NFC, Wi-Fi, DC in, micro HD micro, AV remote terminal, Micro USB 2.0
- Continuous Shooting Speed Information The amount of frames per second that can be shot in continuous shooting mode
- H6.2 x W10.9.x D3.5cm
- Direct printing Information Can connect to a compatible digital camera to print without the need to use a computer.
- 3" tilting LCD touch screen
- Face Detection Information Automatically detects faces and optimises focus, so they're the main subject/s of a snap
- File Formats
- JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- Hard drive Information Stores files and programmes. A portion of this may already be consumed by pre-installed data.
- Image Megapixels
- Image Stabilisation Information Irons out blur and shake, so your shots are super-sharp
- Lens Aperture Information Measures the lens' light exposure and, thus, depth of field
- Lens Size Information Also known as focal length, this is the distance from the sensor and the optical centre of the lens when focused to infinity
- Lens Type Information Whether it zoom, wide-angle or telephoto, different lens types serve different purposes
- Sony OSS Zoom Lens
- Manufacturer Part Number (MPN)
- Maximum ISO Rating Information Defines the sensor's light sensitivity and, thus, performance in low-light settings
- Memory Card Type
- Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards
- Model name / number
- a5100 Body Black + 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens
- NFC enabled Information Devices with NFC can be tapped together to establish a wireless connection for sending or streaming files and other data
- Night recording Information Ability to record at night or in complete darkness by using built-in infrared illumination
- Power Supply
- Li-ion NP-FW50 battery
- Red-Eye Reduction Information Shuts outs red-eye in portraits and group photos
- Screen size Information Measured diagonally.
- Self Timer Information Lets you run into your own pictures by delaying it being taken by a few seconds after the shutter is pressed
- Sensor Size
- APS-C (23.5 x 15.6mm)
- Sensor Type
- Exmor R CMOS
- Shooting Modes
- Shutter Speeds Information The amount of time is takes for the shutter to open and close. High speed lets you freeze action completely, slower ones allow motion blur
- Movies: 1/4000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode) Still images:1/4000 to 30 sec, Bulb
- Smile Detection
- Sweep Panorama
- Touch Screen
- Tripod Thread Information Lets you attach a tripod to the camera's frame
- Video Resolution
- 1080p HD video
- Weight Information Unpackaged weight
- 224g (body only), 283g (with battery and memory card)
- Wi-Fi enabled
- Zoom (digital) Information Enlarges video captured by the optical zoom and makes it seem even closer
Click & collect
- Click & collect from John Lewis and Waitrose shops tomorrow from 2pm
- Collect + from a local shop from Monday, postcode exclusions apply
- Standard delivery within 5 working days
- Next or named day delivery
- Named day UK delivery pre-10.30am
International delivery not available
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy
Q & As
Take advantage of our experience in seeking out your ideal camera.