0% APR Representative: this product is eligible for Interest Free Credit, which is available when you spend £1000 or more on selected products. Terms and conditions apply: find out more
Product code: 81619820
Nils Strinning’s string® shelf system was originally created in 1949, and is now considered a design classic thanks to its versatility and understated aesthetic. The selection of shelves, storage and desk sections can be combined to suit your precise needs, and can easily be expanded or reconfigured as your requirements change.
This work desk is perfect for an office, or any room where you need a bit more counter space.
Please note: legs are not included. The desk section supplied clips directly onto your string side panels.
Some assembly required. Includes:
- 1 x workdesk
- 1 x 4 pack of clips
Assembling your string system
- The string system features a range of cabinet, drawers, shelf and desk sections that are fastened to side panels. Side panels are attached to the wall and available in single packs or packs of 2.
- Always use a spirit level when installing shelf units
- Do not use an electric screwdriver with string systems
- Weight safety limits will vary between products; please read the installation documents with your product for more details
- Floor fastening side racks allow a maximum skirting board height of 12.5cm. If your skirting board is higher than this then use a wall fastened side rack
- Assembly Required
- Assembled on delivery
- Country of Origin
- W78 x D58 x H1.9cm
- Fitting type
- Veneer chipboard
Certain things become so strongly associated with an era that they become timeless. This is certaintly true of Nils Strinning's shelf system, string®, which was designed in 1949. Their dainty light shelves with thin side panels have become one of the twentieth century's foremost design icons. The reasons are several; easy to assemble and quick to reposition, shelves of various depths can be combined, held in place by the side panels. Whether the wall surface is large or small, string® is functional. The elegant and clean-limbed coloured threads of the side panels gives string® its true character.
Nils Strinning won first prize in a competition in 1949, announced by Sweden's largest publishing house, Bonnier, after designing a shelf that was affordable, simple to transport and easy to assemble. Together with the producer Arne Lydmar, they worked out how to coat the steel wire with plastic, and the elfa dish rack became his first successful invention. Nothing is too modest that it can't be made better; this is Strinning's view on life. The inventors demand for function is combined with the aesthetician's feeling for proportion and detail.More from string
- Standard delivery within 5 working days.
- International delivery
- Not available
- Find out how we may still help you
- Click & collect
- This item is not available for Click & collect
- This item is not available for Collect+
- Returning an item
If you’ve changed your mind about keeping your purchase, please return it in its original condition with proof of purchase and we’ll exchange or refund it. Unless faulty, this should be within 35 days of receiving your order. By original condition, we’d expect this to mean that you’ve kept packaging and labels, and that the item is undamaged and unused.
You can return for free in the UK via John Lewis and Waitrose Shops, Royal Mail, Collect+ or MyHermes. If you need to arrange collection of large or heavy items, call us on 03456 049 049. For international returns queries, call us on +44 1698 545 454
You’ll find returns information on your delivery note. Exceptions apply to certain products - find out more about our refund policy