Sweet Chilli Jam
Give your preserves a bit of a twist with this sweet chilli jam - a pleasant garden party surprise guaranteed.
- - 8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- - 10 red chillies, roughly chopped
- - Finger-size piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- - 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- - 400g can cherry tomatoes
- - 750g/1lb 10oz golden caster sugar
- - 240ml/9fl. oz. red wine vinegar
- 1) Tip peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whiz until finely chopped.
- 2) Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil.
- 3) Skim off any scum that comes to the surface, turn heat down to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4) Once jam becomes sticky, continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently so it does not catch and burn. It should look like thick, bubbling lava.
- 5) Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely.
Keeps for three months in a cool, dark cupboard – refrigerate