What to wear when you're expecting
Maternity wear ideas to keep you looking stylish and feeling good
Find your maternity style
- Elasticised waists are useful as they will stretch with you, lasting longer into your pregnancy. They’re also perfect to wear post-pregnancy as you wait for your bump to shrink back down.
- Embrace your curves with stretchy fabrics and wrap tops or dresses. These emphasise the definition between your bust and bump to flatter your figure.
- Go natural at night, and wear loose cotton clothing to promote cooling air flow. Sleep on sheets made of natural rather than synthetic fibres, too.
- Empire dresses are floaty and breezy, so ideal for summer, and their higher waist design will continue to fit around your bump as it gets bigger.
- Purchase shoes the next size up to fit your feet as they swell in the warmer temperatures. Stick to comfy, flat shoes, such as ballet pumps or sandals, which offer arch support, rather than flip flops.
How to choose the right bra
Providing your changing body with the best support and comfort during this time is key
- Get professionally measured to take the guess work out of choosing. Your breasts change from early pregnancy, so consider making an appointment with one of our trained Nursery partners sooner rather than later.
- Prioritise your comfort. Cotton provides optimum breathability and comfort, and soft cups will be gentler on your growing breasts and developing milk ducts than an underwire.
- Allow room to grow. Pick a bra with at least four hooks at the back, so it can easily be adjusted.
- Select a style with firm, elasticated straps, wide sides and full cup coverage to offer the most support, especially for when your breasts feel sore and sensitive.
Nursery advice service
Buying for baby? Our experienced Nursery Partners are here to guide you through your journey into parenthood. Offering impartial, expert advice, we’ll help you to create a newborn checklist and answer any questions you have.