DUVETS AND PILLOWS
A good night's sleep starts with the right foundations.
We have quality options for all budgets and we can help you find the combination that feels right for you.
WHAT SORT OF DUVET DO I NEED?
You can make your bedroom a haven of comfort by choosing your bedding with care.
The type of pillow or duvet you choose and whether you to use mattress protectors or toppers can all make a difference to the quality of your sleep.
For couples who like differing levels of warmth in bed, consider custom duvets, made to order at our Herbert Parkinson factory in Lancashire. There’s no compromise necessary – each side of the duvet can be given a different tog rating. Ask in our shops for more information.
We also offer 11.5 and 15 tog-rated duvets that can be used all year round for enduring comfort.
We offer a range of fillings; from synthetic microfibre, to feather and down, cotton, silk and wool. Some of our natural bedding comes with treatments and fabrics that protect against dust mite allergens, while clever new synthetics feel just like natural down.
We source all of our feather and down from certified farms and have full traceability of supply. We ensure that we are using class A down to offer the best quality.
- Like the feel of real feather and down
- Want a duvet that will let your skin breathe
- Need a quality duvet that will last
- Like a down alternative, you can buy wool, silk or cotton
Then choose a natural duvet because:
- Duvets with a high down content are traditionally lightweight but with excellent thermal performance
- Choose one with a high feather content if you like your duvet to feel heavy
- They’re made from natural fibres with all-cotton covers
- They’re durable and resilient, guaranteed for five years
- All natural down and feather duvets have a tightly woven fabric cover which acts as a barrier against dustmites (Nomite™).
If you suffer with allergies, you can buy our feather and down natural duvets with Nomite cases that have a tightly knitted weave construction
Synthetic duvets are predominately made from microfibre or hollowfibre polyester which makes for a soft, silky, warm and lightweight feel. Both microfibre and hollowfibre are machine washable, making them very easy to care for.
- Need a duvet that can be washed frequently
- Suffer with allergies
- Are looking for an affordable alternative to other fillings
Then consider a synthetic duvet because:
- These duvets give you the same warmth as a natural-filled style (though an equivalent tog rating may be heavier if compared to a duvet with a high down content)
- They’re made with non-allergenic fillings
- They dry more quickly than natural duvets
Duvets containing feather and/or down are given a ‘fill power’. This is the volume occupied by the filling and it varies depending on the quality. It determines the duvet’s thermal efficiency. The higher the fill power, the better the duvet is at keeping you warm.
All our natural duvets come in a boxed wall construction. The filling is held in individual boxes, allowing for even distribution and preventing cold spots.
All our synthetic duvets are constructed to keep the filling in its place, making them easy to maintain.
Always shake your natural duvets from the side and not the bottom to prevent the filling from moving between boxes
A duvet's tog rating is important as it relates to its warmth (but not its weight, which depends on filling).
The higher the tog rating, the warmer the duvet, with 2.5 – 7 tog perfect for spring and summer and 10.5 – 13.5 ideal for autumn and winter.
If you want flexibility and versatility, all-season duvets are a great choice. They consist of two separate duvets, usually a lightweight 4.5 tog for summer and a warmer 9 tog for autumn and spring. They connect together to make a 13.5 tog in winter.
We understand that every sleep style is unique and that's why you can order duvets in any shape, any size and with any tog value, made at our own factory, Herbert Parkinson in Lancashire. For example you can order a duvet with a higher tog value at the bottom of the duvet, or one that's perfect for couples, allowing for different tog ratings on either side.
|Summer lightweight duvet
||Spring/Autumn weight duvet
||Winter weight duvet
|1.0 – 4.5 tog
||7.0 – 10.5 tog
||12.0 – 13.5 tog
Excellent value synthetic bedding is easy to keep clean and fresh.
Our cosy and classic affordable natural bedding offers comfort you can rely on.
Cleverly designed using innovative materials to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep.
We seek out the finest fillings for our Natural Collection, crafting each design with care and attention to every detail.
Our premium Synthetic Collection combines the best of cutting-edge science with luxurious details, for a more indulgent experience.
The Ultimate Collection
Our Ultimate Collection is the pinnacle of bedtime luxury; extremely high quality, indulgent and blissfully comfortable.
MATERIALS WE USE
These are some key components of our duvets
Micro-Fresh® reduces bacteria growth to keep fabrics 99.9% germ-free. It works throughout the life of your bedding, prevents the spread of harmful bacteria, and is kind to skin.
Nomite™ allows people with dust mite allergies to enjoy natural bedding. Following a hygienic washing and high-temperature drying process, fillings are then sealed in a tightly woven fabric cover which acts as a barrier against dust mites.
Amicor™ is a specially treated fibre that gives anti-fungal and antibacterial protection. Blended into this filling it offers long-term protection for people who suffer from dust-mite related allergies.
Derived from wood pulp, modal helps to regulate body temperature and wicks away moisture to keep you at an optimum temperature while you sleep. It's beautifully soft, breathable and quick drying.
Teflon™ fabric protector is highly effective in repelling dirt and stains, so your bedding will stay clean and like new for longer. With less need for washing, it’ll help you save water and energy too.
WHAT SIZE DO I NEED?
Our premium duvets are made to fit standard UK bed sizes.
135 x 200cm
W90 x L190cm or 3' x 6'3"
We’d suggest you buy a double duvet for mattress size W120 x L190cm
W135 x L190cm or 4'6" x 6'3"
230 x 220cm
Mattress size: W150 x L200cm (or 5' x 6'6")
260 x 220cm
Mattress size: W180 x L200cm (or 6' x 6'6" or 2x zip and link beds)
290 x 235cm
Mattress size: W210 x L210cm
If you like your bed to have a fuller, well-made look, or find that you and your partner tend to fight over the duvet, then you might want to choose one that’s a size larger than your bed
WHAT STYLE OF PILLOW SHOULD I CHOOSE?
- Want a pillow to fit snugly
- Are looking for a firm, yet soft feel
Then consider a natural pillow because:
- Down and feather pillows mould snugly round the head and shoulders
- The more feather there is in a pillow, the firmer it tends to be
- The proportion of down adds softness
- Down is the best quality
- A mix of feather and down offers a good value compromise
If you suffer with allergies, you can buy natural duvets with Nomite™ cases that have a tightly knitted weave construction
- Suffer from allergies
- Are looking for fresh, breathable comfort
- Want anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties
- Want a firm memory foam, latex, or microfibre filling
Then consider a synthetic pillow because:
- Manmade fibres tend to be more affordable
- We stock synthetic pillows with innovative new materials
- Latex has an open cell structure, is breathable and stays fresh, dry and cool in the summer. Our latex pillows also have natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-dust mite properties, making them suitable for allergy sufferers
- Memory foam pillows are made from a non-allergenic, visco-elastic temperature-sensitive material; this has unique pressure-relieving qualities, allowing your head and neck to rest in a natural, tension-free position
- Our hollowfibre pillow types, including lightweight fine fibres, provide the closest feel to a down pillow
- Manmade fibres tend to be lower priced than natural fillings
Pillows made from latex foam provide excellent support and maintain their shape. They won’t collect house dust mites and are particularly suitable for asthma sufferers
Matching your sleep style
One of the most important things to consider when buying pillows is how you sleep. A pillow that’s too firm or too soft can affect your posture and how much rest you get.
Remember to consider:
- The pillow against the mattress – a firm pillow won’t work well with a soft mattress
- Your body shape and height. You'll want to maintain a straight spine throughout the night, so it helps to choose the right pillow
- Are a back sleeper
Choose a medium-firm pillow as it provides enough support for the neck without affecting the alignment of your spine.
- Are a side sleeper
A firm pillow is recommended as it keeps the spine aligned and prevents hunching and a painful neck.
- Are a front sleeper
A soft pillow is great as it provides the right amount of comfortable cushioning.
Tailored to you
It's worth taking time to find the type of pillow that will provide the correct balance of comfort and support you need. By all means try in our shops before you buy – our Partners will be pleased to advise you. Everyone’s different and you and your partner may find the same pillows don’t suit both of you.
As well as standard size pillows, we stock square (sometimes called continental) pillows, which are good for sitting up in bed and for decorative purposes, and kingsize pillows, which are extra wide for use on bigger beds.
We offer guarantees on John Lewis & Partners-branded bedding:
- 5 years on all natural feather and down duvets and pillows
- 5 years on wool and light cotton comfort duvets and pillows
- 2 years on mulberry silk duvets
- 2 years on synthetic duvets, pillows, mattress protectors and toppers (except 1 year on our House by John Lewis range)
Your guarantee covers you against:
- Case stitching coming apart
- Popper breakage
- Faulty workmanship during manufacture, such as holes or fabric flaws, feather/down escaping from the product, migration or clumping of filling
Protection for our pillows comes in the form of a liner, which zips up fully to enclose them. This helps to prevent soiling and protects against general wear and tear.
- Our liners are hypoallergenic, making them ideal for those who suffer with allergies or asthma
We know that washing duvets and pillows can be a real chore – using liners or protectors may mean you need to do so less frequently
We offer a range of delivery options.
Click & Collect
Shop online to use Click & collect from John Lewis & Partners and Waitrose & Partners, free when you spend £30 or more. You can also pick up from a local Collect+store at a charge of £3.50 per order.
HOW TO LOOK AFTER YOUR BEDDING
We recommend that you have your natural-filled duvets and pillows professionally laundered as they need to be thoroughly dried, which may be difficult for you to achieve at home.
- When the weather’s dry, hang out your synthetic duvet and pillows to air them
- Shake clumped down loose by hand, or put it in a dryer with a damp towel to create airiness without sacrificing fill power
Plump all pillows up daily
All our pillows can be laundered in a large capacity machine (wash just one at a time); some are washable at 60ºC, the temperature at which house dust mites are killed.
- Pillows have a more limited lifespan than duvets because of the weight of our heads, which flattens them over time and deteriorates the level of support
- Natural pillows will keep their shape and level of support for longer than synthetic
Synthetic duvets and pillows will dry more quickly than natural styles
Our animal welfare policy - feather & down products
We’re committed to ensuring high standards of animal welfare at every step. We require that our suppliers do the same, by eliminating cruel practices and providing the best possible conditions for animals whose byproducts are used to make the things we sell. This includes the feather and down in pillows, duvets and cushions.
Our Animal Welfare Policy is applicable to all branded and own brand products containing animal derivatives.
These suppliers adhere to acceptable industry standards that ensure they are working to best practice. We want to go above and beyond this, so we have set a 2020 target for all suppliers to meet the most recently developed standards – the Responsible Down Standard (RDS) or Downpass 2017 (opens in a new window. Please note that we can’t be responsible for the content of external websites.).
We involved animal welfare organisations in the creation of our Animal Welfare Policy to ensure the standards we are working towards include:
- The protection of animal welfare
- Certification at all steps of the supply chain, including at the farm level
- The provision of guidance to farmers
As part of the process to meet this standard, our suppliers must work with a third party certification body, which will ensure that their full supply chain is audited in accordance.
We work closely with our suppliers who are currently meeting one of the most recent standards or are working on the transition towards them.
We always strive to obtain raw materials from more sustainable sources. This product supports cotton farmers who use water efficiently, care for the environment and promote fair and decent work.
The feather and down used is certified to ensure high animal welfare and full traceability from farm to product.
Duvets and pillows for children
Choosing duvets and pillows for a child is an important part of ensuring they get a restful night’s sleep, although they are not suitable for children under 12 months. We offer a range of duvets and pillows that are suitable for children, from classic duck feather and down to anti-allergy.
When choosing a full size duvet for a child, unless their bedroom is very cold, it’s best to stick with a lighter weight duvet between 4.5 and 7 tog. As they’re smaller, it means their duvet traps more air and increases the level of warmth over and above that experienced by most adults.
When it comes to choosing a pillow for a child over the age of 12 months, try to choose a flatter or softer pillow, as this will offer them support without putting strain on their developing neck.