CHOOSING A TELEVISION
The 3 main technologies to look out for at the moment are:
If you’re looking for:
- A lightweight TV
- Energy efficiency
- Something on a smaller budget
Then consider an LED TV because:
- LED backlighting allows for good picture quality without pushing the budget up too much
- They’re slim and consume less power
If you’re looking for:
- A smooth, vibrant motion picture
- Something that's slim and light
- Bright colours
Then consider an OLED TV because:
- The faster refresh rate reduces motion blur, offering a sharper, more natural image
- Because it doesn’t require any backlighting, an OLED TV can be even thinner
If you’re looking for:
- Brighter, vibrant, and more diverse colours
Then consider a QLED TV because:
- Higher brightness can be achieved through quantum dot technology
- It delivers the world’s first 100% Colour Volume, regardless of brightness level
FEATURES TO CONSIDER
Whatever type of TV you choose, also consider:
- Capable of showing broadcasted high definition footage
- Does not have a High Definition tuner built in, so the services would need to come from external sources such as Sky or Virgin
Full HD 1080
- 4x the quality of current broadcasts
4K Ultra HD
- 4x the quality of a Full HD picture
- Even close up, images are clearer, sharper and more realistic
- Providers are currently creating 4K content, with some already taking the lead, such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and UltraFlix
Ultra HD premium
Content creators and distributors such as Samsung, Sony, Netflix and Warner Bros agree that TVs with the Ultra HD Premium sticker must have:
- 4K resolution (4x the pixels of full HD)
- 10-bit colour depth (otherwise known as ‘deep colour’)
- 90% colour space
- A minimum contrast range
Processing rates are measured in hertz (Hz) so you'll see TVs specified as 60Hz, 120Hz etc.
The higher the number, the more likely you are to have a smooth, natural looking and fluid picture quality, especially for fast paced content (such as sport) on your TV.
This does depend on what you're watching, so a high quality TV might still produce a low quality picture if it is filmed in low quality. Nowadays though, content creators are producing more content at higher processing rates.
- Offers a deeper more lifelike display
- Boost 4K and gives you even greater colour and contrast
- With HDR you see everything as the creators intended
- Smart TVs seamlessly stream online content through your broadband connection, so you can catch up on your favourite shows and connect to social media.
- When choosing a new television, look at the smart features available – most offer catch-up TV, such as BBC iPlayer and streaming movie services, such as Netflix or Amazon Prime. Most new TVs today are 'smart'.
- Different TV brands use different operating systems, so certain smart applications work with certain TV brands.
- If you subscribe to a movie service already, then make sure your new set includes it.
Curved screens improve side angles, so no matter where you're sitting, you’ll have the best possible viewing experience, with an almost wrap-around effect as the screen fills more of your vision.
Freeview, Freeview Play, Freesat and YouView
- Freeview is built in to all new TVs
- It's free TV delivered to your home through an aerial
- Has all the channels Freeview has
- Offers both catch up and on demand TV which is streamed via an internet connection
- Freesat is free-to-air satellite television
- It has even more free channels than Freeview, many of them in HD, and includes radio stations
- It has an electronic programme guide
- It doesn’t allow you to watch On-Demand TV, but that should be available with your smart TV
- After your one-off payment for the digital box, the satellite dish and installation, your viewing is free with no contract or subscription
- Your digital box is automatically updated with the latest channels and services as they become available
To receive freesat you'll need:
- A freesat digital receiver box or a TV with an integrated receiver
- A satellite dish installed and connected to the receiver
- If already have a satellite dish, it may be possible for you to receive freesat with your current dish
- If you don't have a dish, we recommend that your dish is supplied and installed by a qualified satellite installer.
- You can arrange this when you buy your freesat receiver in store; find out more about installation services
TV on demand via a separate set top box connected to the internet and TV aerial
TV accessories can leverage your whole viewing experience.
Whether you want to enhance the sound quality or mount your television to the wall, you can buy:
- Sound enhancement
- Television stands
- Television wall mounts
- Connecting cables
View our TV accessories buying guide
TV INSTALLATION SERVICES
Its £34.99 for a standard TV installation, but we have many more ways to help you get set up.
WHAT ARE MY DELIVERY OPTIONS?
Standard delivery of your TV is free. This can be in as little as 3 working days, but you'll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Next day delivery
Next day delivery is available for some TVs, but we’re unable to provide an installation service with next day delivery.
Delivery by our approved supplier
Delivery by our approved supplier means your TV will be delivered directly by the manufacturer, or their chosen courier, and they will arrange delivery with you.
Looking after your TV
- Use a proper screen cleaner on your TV
- Unplug your TV when it’s not being used for a prolonged period of time
- Put your TV in front of a radiator
- Touch the TV screen
Use the correct cleaning products and wipes to keep screens, devices and controllers dust and dirt free.
If you have any difficulties with your TV following installation, please check the manufacturer’s instructions first.
You can also call our call our Technical Support helpline on 0330 123 0106
from 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays and 10am - 6pm Sundays.
Please have your order number and model details to hand.
We offer a 5-year guarantee on TVs - that could be up to 4 years over and above the guarantee offered by the manufacturer.