CHOOSING A MATTRESS
We all know how important it is to get a good night's sleep, and the right mattress is crucial. This guide will help you to weigh up your options.
We can also dispose of your old mattress when we deliver your new one.
WHAT TENSION DO I NEED?
Spring tensions of a mattress are usually described as soft, medium or firm. This can give the impression that the mattress will feel this way. In fact, these three tensions are directly linked to your bodyweight on the mattress and the size of the chosen mattress.
Suitable for bodyweights up to 8 stone and usually designed with a 1.2mm wire diameter.
This tension suits the largest number of sleepers. It's usually a 1.4mm wire diameter and suitable for bodyweights of 8-16 stone.
Bespoke size options can be made to order, direct from the supplier - please ask in our shops. The supplier will deliver within 4-6 weeks.
What type of mattress do I need?
- More affordable
- Ideal for guest bedrooms
These mattresses are are cheaper - due to the contruction, type of spring and filling content and are perfect for occasional use such as in a guest bedroom
- Longer lasting
- Minimises risk of rolling towards your sleeping partner
Springs work independently to respond to individual body weight and shapes, meaning they're very hardwearing
FOAM & MEMORY FOAM
- Ideal for those who suffer from allergies
- Provide more support
Foam and memory foam mattresses mould to your body shape and help to align your spine, whilst being made from synthetic materials with anti-microbial properties, perfect for those with allergies
WHAT KIND OF SLEEPER AM I?
You’ll usually need a mattress with more support so there are few gaps between your body and the mattress. The aim is to maintain a neutral position in your spine and neck - consider going without a pillow if necessary.
You’ll need a softer spring to allow your shoulder and hip to sink into the mattress, keeping the spine straight without causing pressure points on the joints.
Check that the tension of the mattress allows the bed to cushion right into your lower back so there’s no gap. Try sliding a hand underneath the base of your spine; if it’s easy, the mattress may be too firm, too tight and it may be too soft.
What size mattress do I need?
Zip and link mattresses allow couples to maintain their individual comfort needs if their mattress preferences are different, and creates independent sleep surfaces, reducing disturbance from the other person during sleep.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT UPON DELIVERY?
- Your mattress may have compressed slightly during transportation, this is perfectly normal and it will soon resume its natural shape and size
- Once unwrapped, leave the mattress uncovered for a few hours to let it breathe
- You may notice a slight odour after the mattress has been take out of its packaging - the fillings will occasionally release a smell but it is no cause for concern and will dissipate once the mattress has been well aired
- Your new mattress may feel slightly different and strange at first, so please allow time for your body to adjust and for the fillings to settle
- If you have purchased a rolled mattress, please ensure that it is unrolled and placed within its cover on a bed in a warm room for 24 hours before use, to allow it to regain its normal shape
- Rotate your double-sided mattress head to foot and turn it over completely once a fortnight for the first 12 weeks, then once a month (unless it's a no-turn mattress, in which case just rotate it)
- Rotate latex and memory foam mattresses through 180 degrees monthly
- Air your mattress for 4 hours after delivery to freshen and remove any odour from storage
- Ensure the room is well-ventilated and leave the covers on the bed pulled back during the day for the first few weeks - that way the naturally occurring smell from natural fillings will dissipate
- Air your mattress on a weekly basis by turning back the bed linen for a few hours
- Use a mattress protector or an under blanket below the sheet
- Clean the mattress every few months with a soft brush, do not vacuum as this can damage the filling
- Clean spills with a dry cloth, then sponge with a slightly damp cloth and a mild detergent solution
ORDERING YOUR MATTRESS
How to pay (Interest Free Credit)
If you’re spending £1000 or more on your bed, our payment plan allows you to spread the cost of your purchase (0% APR representative, subject to status. Terms and conditions apply).
What are my delivery options?
All our mattresses can be delivered for free, some within 3 days depending on your postcode.
You can also pay for next day delivery from £19.95.
All John Lewis & Partners-branded adult mattresses and divan bases are guaranteed
for 7 years from the date of purchase (2 years for selected mattresses from House by John Lewis).