Buying a Microwave
Which microwave do I need?
Fast and reliable, microwaves are energy-efficient and economical for your home. They've become much more multi-functional too, often incorporating a grill or fan oven.
- Simply want to cook ready meals, soups or vegetables
- Save space on your worktops
- Need a simple and intuitive design
Then consider a microwave only.
Microwaves with grills
- Don’t have a lot of worktop or appliance space
- Want to grill fish and meat easily
- Crisp or brown the outside of your food
Then consider a microwave with a grill.
- Prefer to cook healthy recipes, particularly with lots of vegetables and fish
- Want to reduce cooking times by using steam
- Find traditional countertop steamers aren’t big enough
Then consider a combi microwave with steam.
When ordering, check the machine dimensions to be sure that you have both sufficient access to enable us to deliver the machine to the space where it’s being installed, and that it will fit that space.
- Need to free up worktop space
- Want a seamless look
- Require a multifunctional oven
Then consider an integrated microwave.
If you’re buying or replacing a fitted kitchen, you may want to consider a microwave or combi microwave fitted above a single built-in oven - particularly if you’d like to have a microwave at eye level.
Features to consider
- Microwave-safe trays, dishes, steamers and egg poachers can give you more cooking versatility
Automatic cooking and defrosting
- Considers the weight of the food and works out the time needed to cook it safely
- Uses random pulses of microwave energy to reduce the usual defrosting time
- Dials ensure smooth and easy operation, allowing you to alter settings without interrupting the cooking
- Exact timings are best set by touch and electronic buttons
- Microwave ovens are much easier to clean than conventional ones
- Premium models also feature catalytic or pyrolytic liners, which are self-cleaning
- Automatically changes the power levels during cooking
- Ensures the best cooking time, for example, defrosting and then cooking food
- Measure in watts, ranging from 800W to 1100W
- The higher the wattage, the quicker your food will cook
- Take the guesswork out of cooking
- Settings for popular foods and for reheating and defrosting
- Automatically detects moisture in the food and the oven's humidity
- Adjusts the power levels and cooking time accordingly
- Ensures your meal won’t dry out
- Capacities vary from about 17L to over 32L
- For a family-size microwave, consider at least a 27L size - this will have a larger turntable and extra interior height
- An added boost of power - great for reheating soups or baked beans
- A-E categories, with E taking the least time to heat food
- Some microwaves come without a turntable
- If you usually cook trays of food, it’s easier to reheat your food without a turntable as there’s more space
- For microwaves with a turntable, look out for the diameter size in the product description
What are my delivery options?
FREE Standard delivery on orders over £50
We also offer next and named day delivery for an additional fee.
Most of our microwaves are available to Click & Collect
- great for when you need one in a hurry.
Looking after your microwave
- Use microwave-safe containers or tableware only - ceramics, glassware and some plastics are fine
- Leave any covered food vented when cooking it, so the steam can escape
- Stir the food halfway through the cooking time. This will help to reduce any possible ‘cold spots’
- Leave the food to stand for 2 minutes once it’s cooked, as the heat will continue to spread through the food
- Keep your microwave clean, as a dirty oven will cook more slowly and unevenly
- Check with your doctor if you have a pacemaker - some older ones may still be adversely affected by proximity to a microwave
- Consult the manufacturer’s directions if you’re unsure
- Use any metal containers or objects - even twist-ties
- Clean with scouring pads, steel wool or other abrasives
- Press Start on your microwave when it's empty, as the microwaves will bounce off the interior walls and could cause damage
- Sterilise baby bottles or other food utensils in the microwave