BUYING A TUMBLE DRYER
What type of tumble dryer do I need?
We sell both heat pump and condenser tumble dryers.
Here's how to choose:
- Prefer the freedom of being hose-free
- Can install your tumble dryer in a well-ventilated room
Then consider a condenser dryer. They separate water from the moist air into a container which you empty after drying. One with heat pump technology can also help to save energy.
- Have limited space
- Don’t do enough laundry to warrant a full-sized dryer or have a small household
- Can’t fit a permanent vent into an outside wall
Then consider a washer dryer. They have a wet condenser system that uses cold water for the drying process. Although a washer dryer may add to your water and energy consumption, they come equipped with timers or sensors. Some brands also feature a heat pump, which recycles heat in the drum.
TUMBLE DRYER FEATURES
Features of full-sized tumble dryers:
Heat pump technology
A feature in a growing number of condenser models, which results in an A energy rating. Hot, humid air from the dryer is passed through a heat pump for re-use, conserving much of its heat and using up to 50% less energy. Some washer dryer brands also feature this technology.
Capacity and the drum
- Full-sized tumble dryers usually dry a similar load to their corresponding washing machines
- Dryers have larger drums than washers - the larger the drum, the better the efficiency of hot air flow through the machine, the faster the drying time
- Allowing fabrics plenty of room to tumble also means less creasing
- Best quality machines have long lasting stainless steel drums, and provide a smooth finish so fabrics don't catch
- A kilo equals roughly an outfit such as a pair of trousers, top, underwear and socks
Crease care feature
If you can't empty the machine straight away, tumble dryers with this feature will continue to give fabrics an intermittent tumble at the end of the cycle, so they don't get creased in the drum.
Cool air setting
You can use this setting to air fabrics that have been stored away for some time.
An energy saving feature that works by detecting when your clothes are dry and stops the cycle accordingly.
Final cool tumble
During the last 10 minutes or so of the cycle, the heating element is turned off and the fabrics tumble in cooling air back to ambient room temperature.
Energy efficiency and running costs
Running costs will depend on how much time the machine is drying for and how hard it has to work. Dryers cost more to run than washing machines, but if you want to save energy invest in an A-rated heat pump condenser model or one with sensor drying to help you use less energy. Read ‘Looking after your tumble dryer’ below for more energy saving tips.
The drum rotates both ways, pausing in between. This keeps laundry separated and dries it more evenly and quickly.
ORDERING YOUR TUMBLE DRYER
When ordering, check the tumble dryer dimensions to be sure that you have both sufficient access to enable us to deliver the machine to the space where it’s being installed, and that it will fit that space.
If you’re short of floor space you may be able to stack your tumble dryer on top of your washing machine.
What are my delivery options?
Standard delivery of your tumble dryer is free. This can be in as little as 3 working days, but you’ll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Delivery by our approved supplier
Delivery by our approved supplier means the machine will be delivered directly by the manufacturer, or their chosen courier, and they will arrange delivery with you.
Looking after your tumble dryer
- Clean out your tumble dryer filter regularly to ensure best drying performance. The filter, which collects stray fibres, is often on the inside of the door
- Check wash care labels for the relevant symbol, many fabrics will withstand tumble drying
- Dry similar fabrics together
- Spin dry your wash load at the highest spin possible before loading the dryer so that your clothes aren't too wet
- Use a time delay on your machine so you can use it overnight on a cheaper electricity tariff
- Install a dryer with a heat pump feature in a garage or outbuilding, as it needs to operate within a minimum ambient temperature range
- Overload the machine
Guarantees on all our laundry appliances are at least 2 years as standard.
John Lewis tumble dryers have 3-year guarantees.
Our rewards credit card gives you 1.25% back in points towards vouchers when you shop with us.
John Lewis plc, 171 Victoria Street SW1E 5NN acts as a credit broker. Credit provided under exclusive arrangements with the lender John Lewis Financial Services Limited