You know it's time for a new vacuum cleaner, but which one? In this guide, we'll help you decide.
TYPES OF CLEANERS
- Need to clean hard floors, stairs or upholstery
- Have a smaller home
Then consider a cylinder vacuum because...
- They’re small, light and easy to store
- Offer good suction, especially on upholstery
- Live in a home with large areas of carpet
- Prefer not to bend as you vacuum
- Want something more mobile
Then consider an upright vacuum because…
- As well as suction power, upright cleaners have revolving, belt-driven brushes that help to loosen and sweep up ingrained dirt
Cordless upright cleaners
- Live in a home with several levels
- Want something light and easy to lift
- Live in a home with fewer plug sockets
Then consider a cordless upright cleaner (also known as a stick cleaner) because…
- They allow you to move freely without wires
- Each charge gives you about 30 - 40 minutes cleaning time
Cordless handheld cleaners
- Want to clean the car, stairs or upholstery
- Need something light and compact
- Have pets or need to vacuum more regularly
The consider a cordless handheld cleaner.
- Need to clean rather than vacuum
- Want to clean hard floors, windows and upholstery
- Want something that’s kind to the environment
Then consider a steam cleaner because…
- They work on most surfaces
- Some models heat up in less than 30 seconds
- They don't use detergent and rely purely on steam
- Want to give your carpet a really deep clean
- Want to prolong the life of your carpet
- Want to clean upholstery
Then consider a carpet washer because…
- They’re capable of removing dirt and debris that your vacuum can't
- Leave carpets like new
- Want to avoid the hassle of vacuuming
- Live in a larger home
- Want to save time
Then consider a robot cleaner because…
- They use an intelligent navigation systems to move around your home and detect dirt
- You can set up your robot to clean at pre-set times
- It charges itself
BAG OR BAGLESS?
Easier to clean and empty
Tackles pet hair
May be more expensive upfront
May not be suitable for allergy sufferers
All cleaners have some form of filtration system:
Vary between 3 and 7 stages.
No need to change the filter during the lifetime of the machine – normally 7-10 years
HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air)
Also known as S-Class, these retain even the smallest of allergy-causing particles. Look out for machines approved by the British Allergy Foundation.
Removes any nasty smells. Particularly suitable if you have pets.
Spotless surfaces call for the right tools. Most cleaners come with a range of attachments.
A skinny tool
with an angled tip.
Between sofa cushions
A wide tool
with a lint strip
with soft bristles
For hard-to-reach areas and high ceilings
Often powered separately, for extra suction on cut pile carpets and pet hair
For wooden or tiled floors
Often include washable mop pads, which can be replaced or popped into the washing machine
In order to reduce energy costs, EU law requires all vacuums to feature an energy label.
Since 1 September 2017, the energy label now includes:
A new maximum power level of 900W
A maximum noise level of 80dB
Ratings ranging from A+++ through to G
Test how resistant the flexible hose is to splitting or breaking
How well the motor stands up to repeated use
What are my delivery options?
Standard delivery is free for orders over £50, or £3.50 if you spend less. This can be as little as 3 working days, but you’ll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Click & Collect
Click & collect is free for orders of £30 and over, or £2 if you spend less
Delivery by our approved supplier
Delivery by our approved supplier means the rug will be delivered directly by the manufacturer, or their chosen courier, and they will arrange delivery with you.
CARING FOR YOUR FLOOR
- Snip off any pills with scissors
- Vacuum frequently to prevent shedding and shading
- Use a humidifier or putting pot plants in water trays to avoid static
- Leave natural carpets unrolled and left to lie flat for at least 48 hours
- Use beater brushes on loop pile carpets. Use the suction head only
OUR 2-YEAR GUARANTEE
All electrical products you buy from us are guaranteed for a minimum of 2 years, at no extra cost.