When it's time for a new vacuum cleaner, this guide will help you decide which type is best for you.
TYPES OF CLEANERS
- Need to clean hard floors, stairs or upholstery
- Have a smaller home
Then consider a cylinder vacuum because...
- They’re small, light and easy to store
- Offer good suction, especially on upholstery
- Live in a home with large areas of carpet
- Prefer not to bend as you vacuum
- Want something more mobile
Then consider an upright vacuum because…
- As well as suction power, upright cleaners have revolving, belt-driven brushes that help to loosen and sweep up ingrained dirt
Cordless upright cleaners
- Live in a home with several levels
- Want something light and easy to lift
- Don't have plug sockets in the right places at home
Then consider a cordless upright cleaner (also known as a stick cleaner) because…
- They allow you to move freely without wires
- Each charge gives you about 30 - 40 minutes of cleaning time
Cordless handheld cleaners
- Want to clean the car, stairs or upholstery
- Need something light and compact
- Have pets or need to vacuum small spaces regularly, like crumbs under the table
then consider a cordless handheld cleaner.
- Need to clean rather than vacuum
- Want to clean hard floors, windows and upholstery
- Want something that’s kind to the environment
Then consider a steam cleaner because…
- They work on most surfaces
- Some models heat up in less than 30 seconds
- They don't use detergent and rely purely on steam
- Want to give your carpet a really deep clean or wash
- Want to prolong the life of your carpet
- Want to clean upholstery
Then consider a carpet cleaner because…
- They’re capable of removing dirt and debris that your vacuum can't
- Leave carpets like new
- Want to avoid the task of vacuuming
- Live in a larger home
- Want to save time
Then consider a robot cleaner because…
- They use an intelligent navigation systems to move around your home and detect dirt
- You can set up your robot to clean at pre-set times
- It charges itself
BAG OR BAGLESS?
Easier to clean and empty
Better for tackling pet hair
May be more expensive upfront
May not be suitable for allergy sufferers
Bear in mind you still need to maintain the filter/s either by cleaning or replacing
All cleaners have some form of filtration system. It's important to remove these where appropriate to clean them, as blocked filters can cause a loss in performance of your cleaner.
These vary between 3 and 7 stages of filtration
No need to change the filter during the lifetime of the machine – normally 7 - 10 years, but will need to be washed periodically
HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air)
Also known as S-Class, these retain even the smallest of allergy-causing particles. Look out for machines approved by the British Allergy Foundation.
Removes any nasty smells. Particularly suitable if you have pets.
All filters (except Lifetime) will need to be replaced periodically.
Spotless surfaces call for the right tools. Most cleaners come with a range of attachments, or you can buy them separately.
A skinny tool
with an angled tip.
Between sofa cushions
A wide tool
with a lint strip
Soft bristle brush
For hard-to-reach areas and high ceilings
Often powered separately, for extra suction on cut pile carpets and pet hair. Be sure to clean this regularly to ensure best performance.
For wooden or tiled floors
Often include washable mop pads, which can be replaced or popped into the washing machine
In order to reduce energy costs, EU law requires all vacuums to feature an energy label.
The energy label includes:
A maximum power level of 900W
A maximum noise level of 80dB
Ratings ranging from A+++ through to G
How resistant the flexible hose is to splitting or breaking
How well the motor stands up to repeated use
We have free delivery options, but if you need your new cleaner in a hurry, with many models you can pay a little extra for next or named day delivery
Standard delivery is free for orders over £50, or £3.50 if you spend less. This can be as little as 3 working days, but you’ll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Click & Collect
Click & collect is free for orders of £30 and over, or £2 if you spend less
Delivery by our approved supplier
Delivery by our approved supplier means the cleaner will be delivered directly by the manufacturer or their chosen courier, and they'll arrange delivery with you.
CARING FOR YOUR FLOOR AND YOUR CLEANER
- Vacuum carpets regularly to prevent shedding and shading, and to remove the dirt and grit that causes the pile to flatten over time
- Snip off any pills with scissors
- Don't use turbo/beater brushes on loop pile carpets or hard flooring, use the suction head only
- Clean filters regularly; blocked filters and clogged brush heads will affect the cleaner's performance, as will over-full bags or containers
OUR 2-YEAR GUARANTEE
All electrical products you buy from us are guaranteed for a minimum of 2 years, at no extra cost.