CHOOSING A WASHING MACHINE
What kind of washing machine do I need?
- Have a utility room or space under a kitchen counter
- Are planning a kitchen without integrated appliances
Then consider a freestanding washing machine.
The average size of these washing machines is usually around H85 x W60 x D55cm, give or take a few centimetres.
- Are replacing an existing built-in machine
- Want it covered by a door panel to match kitchen units
- Are revamping your kitchen with built-in appliances
Then consider an integrated washing machine.
- Have a smaller kitchen or utility room
- Or less depth under your counter
Then consider a slim depth washing machine.
- Are sensitive to appliance noise and are looking for the quietest washing machine possible
- Have an open plan kitchen, lounge, or dining room
Then consider a Quiet Mark machine.
- Don’t do enough laundry to warrant a full-sized dryer
- Don’t have space for two appliances
Then consider a washer dryer.
WASHING MACHINE FEATURES
Whatever type of washing machine you choose,
consider the features that you need.
All the washing machines we sell have an A to A+++ rating.
Performance is based on washing performance and spin efficiency.
You'll generally find that the more expensive the machine, the higher its grading as it will include a number of energy-saving features, such as variable temperature control, or sensors that determine the length of the rinse cycle or even the amount of detergent to add.
Your choice of drum size depends on how much laundry you do, but as a rough guide:
- 6-7kg is great for one or two people
- 8kg for an average family
- 9kg is for a large family.
There are many programmes which are common to most new machines, such as:
- Handwash programmes for fabrics such as fine wools or silk - even gentler than washing by hand
- Quick wash - enables you to select a full cycle for lightly soiled items speeded up to 15-20 minutes, but bear in mind these programmes use more energy than standard or eco programmes
- Reload function on a machine allows you to add odd items to the wash once the cycle has started
- Steam programmes allow you to refresh creased dry clothes or remove odours without doing a full wash
- Variable temperature control, so you can opt to select a lower temperature to save energy. (You can't inadvertently select too high a temperature for that programme)
- Economy settings which will automatically reduce the washing temperature
- Extra rinse facility, which is useful in soft water areas or if anyone in the household has particularly sensitive skin
If you're using a tumble dryer too, choose a machine with a good high spin speed as it's more economical to extract water from spinning than from tumble drying.
Top of the range machines will have a long spin cycle for cottons for more efficient water extraction, and an interval spin for synthetics to reduce creasing.
Smart washing machines
These enable you to control the washing machine from an app on your phone - handy if you’re out and want to start or delay a load.
Some machines allow you to put in enough washing liquid to last for around 20 washes and the programme will auto dose according to what the load needs.
This makes best use of detergent as it means you won’t add too much and force extra rinsing, so it saves energy too.
Washing machine installation services
If your new machine is being delivered by a John Lewis green van crew, we can install it and take away your old one. There are some terms and conditions attached to these services, so please check these below.
When ordering, check the machine dimensions to be sure that you have both sufficient access to enable us to deliver the machine to the space where it’s being installed, and that it will fit that space.
Installing the washing machine yourself
- Remove transit straps, usually accessible from the back of the machine
- Level the machine if necessary by adjusting the feet underneath
Note: If you have a tongue and groove or suspended floor, the vibration of the machine during the spin cycle means that it will not only be noisy but could be detrimental to the life of the machine.
To resolve this, it's best to mount the machine on a piece of ¾” blockboard cut to fit the width and depth of the machine and screwed to the floor (checking, of course, for pipework beneath).
Your machine will come with full installation instructions, but it's best to place all the plumbing to the side of the site for the machine so that it's accessible in case of emergency, and ensures the machine can be located up to the wall.
Make sure the hoses aren’t kinked or twisted when you push the machine back into place.
What are my delivery options?
Standard delivery of your washing machine is free. This can be in as little as 3 working days, but you’ll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Next day delivery is available for some machines.
Delivery by our approved supplier means the machine will be delivered directly by the manufacturer, or their chosen courier, and they will arrange delivery with you.
Looking after your washing machine
- Check the water hose isn't squashed first if the machine doesn't fill
- Carry out an empty high temperature boil wash occasionally, and use an appliance descaler from time to time if you live in a hard water area
- Leave the door and detergent drawer open post wash to allow air to circulate
- Use a scouring sponge or old toothbrush to clean the washing machine door seal and wipe clean with water. Do the same for your detergent drawer as product can build up in there
- Use the machine with the transit bolts in as not only will there be lots of noise and vibration, you'll potentially damage the machine
- Overload the machine as this prevents it from working efficiently
If you have any difficulties with your washing machine following installation, please check manufacturer’s instructions first.
You can also call our call our Technical Support helpline on 0330 123 0106 from 8am - 9pm weekdays, 8am - 8pm Saturdays
and 10am - 6pm Sundays.
Please have your order number and model details to hand.
Washing machine guarantees
Guarantees on all our laundry appliances are at least 2 years as standard.
John Lewis washing machines have 3-year guarantees.