Designed to bring uniformity to your fitted kitchen, built-in (or integrated) washing machines, washer dryers and dishwashers offer a sleek and unobtrusive look.
When you buy your new appliance from us, we offer an installation service upon delivery, and can take away your old appliance too. Find out more.
Features are usually the same as any freestanding equivalent, but built-in machines are wholly or partially housed
When buying a built-in appliance you’ll still need to think about what features you want, as well as where and how your appliance will be positioned and fitted. Your John Lewis & Partners fitted kitchen planner will be the best source of advice.
Built-in or free standing
- These appliances stand free of any kitchen unit
- They can be positioned anywhere practicable
- Appliances are boxed in at the top and the sides, under a worktop
- They can still be removed easily
Built-in / integrated
- These are fixed in, with the correct ventilation
- An integrated appliance is fully or partially concealed behind a door panel and within a carcass (base unit)
- A built-in appliance can be seen, but it has unfinished sides and would topple over if left freestanding
- Models tend to be slimmer (D55cm) and shorter (H80-82cm) than conventional machines, and they also tend to be more expensive as fewer are made
When considering an integrated refrigerated appliance, there are two ways of attaching the furniture door:
- A fixed/door-on-door fitting means that the cabinet door is attached and fixed to the integrated appliance door. There is only one set of strong hinges on the appliance used to support both the cabinet door AND the appliance door. Both doors move as one when opened as they are effectively ‘stuck’ together.
- A sliding fitting integrated appliance is only supporting the weight of its own door. The sliding mechanism ensures the appliance door will pivot inside the cabinet against the furniture door, both doors moving as two.
- As integrated, but with the control panel visible
Replacing a built-in model
Built-in appliances may have changed since you last bought one, so it’s important that you know exactly what you need from your new machine.
- Had an older built-in unit, it might have had a décor panel on it
These are rarely made now, so consider an integrated model instead.
- Have a kitchen furniture plinth running along the base of your appliance
Then it is probably integrated and could replace it with another integrated machine.
- Find your worktop height is lower than the standard 85cm
Then you may need a height-reduction kit.
Where to fit your built-in appliance
Your washing machine or dishwasher should be near the sink to keep the plumbing together
Never fit appliances in front of your stop tap: you’ll need to have easy access to it
Try to position your cooker and hob on an outside wall to help with ventilation
A hob will need an extractor unit above it
It’s usual to position a hob over a 600mm unit
Don’t position a hob or oven under a window or behind an inwardly opening door
Avoid placing appliances in a corner as they’ll be difficult to operate
Siting a cooker next to a fridge or freezer will force both appliances to work harder – thus using up more energy
Our kitchens offer great design, reliable quality and real value. Our comprehensive fitted kitchen service means we can take care of all the planning and fitting for you.
To book a consultation appointment or find out more, visit our fitted kitchen service page
Standard delivery of your built-in appliance is free. This can be in as little as 3 working days, but you’ll be offered delivery slots at checkout.
Next Day Delivery
Next day delivery is available for some appliances, check individual product pages.
Delivery by supplier
Delivery by our approved supplier means your appliance will be delivered directly by the manufacturer, or their chosen courier, and they will arrange delivery with you.
OUR TWO-YEAR GUARANTEE
Guarantees on all our built-in appliances are at least 2 years as standard. John Lewis built-in appliances have 3-year guarantees.
Our rewards credit card gives you 1.25% back in points towards vouchers when you shop with us.
John Lewis plc, 171 Victoria Street SW1E 5NN acts as a credit broker. Credit provided under exclusive arrangements with the lender John Lewis Financial Services Limited