BUYBACK WITH JOHN LEWIS & PARTNERS
Our Oxford shop is trialling a new fashion service called BuyBack, driven by a commitment to closing the loop at the end of the fashion lifecycle. My John Lewis members will be able to resell their clothes and make a positive impact on the amount of clothing waste going to landfill.
HOW TO PICK YOUR CLOTHING
Clothing purchased from John Lewis & Partners (John Lewis & Partners own brand or a brand we stock) are eligible BuyBack items.
Accepted clothing: shirts, t-shirts, knitwear (jumpers, cardigans), jackets, coats, shorts, trousers and jeans.
Accepted clothing: shirts, t-shirts, knitwear (jumpers, cardigans), coats, jackets, shorts, trousers, jeans, dresses, jumpsuits and skirts.
We don't accept: Childrenswear, lingerie, underwear, swimming costumes, hosiery (socks & tights), accessories, handbags, nursery products, towels, bedding and nightwear.
HOW TO TAKE PART
Select unwanted clothes from your wardrobe (Menswear and Womenswear only).
Choose up to a maximum of 3 items.
Items must be clean and dry and in a reasonable condition; small rips or tears are acceptable.
Visit John Lewis & Partners Oxford (located in the Westgate Centre) with your BuyBack items and your my John Lewis card.
Visit the Ground Floor till point by our Womenswear department and speak to a Partner to get started.
Show your QR code to a Partner at the till. This code can be found in the Rewards & Treats section of your John Lewis & Partners app or johnlewis.com in My Account.
The Partner will check and process your BuyBack clothing and put £3 per item onto a Gift card (maximum of £9).
AND THAT'S IT
Enjoy spending your Gift card in any John Lewis & Partners or Waitrose & Partners shop, knowing your clothes will be responsibly recycled or re-used, with zero waste to landfill.
How we guarantee your clothing doesn't go to landfill
We’ve partnered with Bank and Vogue, one of the largest traders in used goods and a global leader in the circular economy of textiles for over 20 years. They’re also the parent company of Beyond Retro, Europe's largest vintage chain, who will be collaborating closely with us on our exciting BuyBack service.
DID YOU KNOW?
In the UK, the average lifetime for an item of clothing is estimated as 2.2 years. Extending the life of clothing by nine months can significantly reduce its environmental impact.
The average water footprint of a shirt and a pair of jeans is 10,000 to 20,000 litres. The greatest amount is used in growing the cotton required.
An increase of 10% in second-hand sales of clothing could save 3% more carbon, 4% more water and 1% less waste for every tonne of clothing.
It's estimated £140 million worth of clothing goes into landfill each year in the UK.
Clothing has the fourth largest environmental impact after housing, transport and food.
UK adults only regularly wear 44 percent of the clothing they own.
THE JOHN LEWIS & PARTNERS APP
Whether you're on the move, in one of our shops or relaxing at home, our free app makes it simple to shop with us
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Terms & Conditions
- The BuyBack trial is only open to selected customers who have been invited to participate and have been issued with a QR code. The QR code may be issued by email or accessed from the John Lewis & Partners App.
- The BuyBack trial is only valid in store at John Lewis and Partners in Oxford at their business premises of 101 Westgate Centre, Oxford, OX11PB.
- Unfortunately, this trial is not accessible online at www.johnlewis.com or at any other website.
- Only selected my John Lewis members and joint loyalty cardmembers who have received an email invite from John Lewis & Partners may participate in the BuyBack trial.
- A valid my John Lewis or joint loyalty card must be shown to participate in the BuyBack trial along with a valid QR code.
- The invitation to participate in the BuyBack trial is valid from 1st October 2019 10:00 to 16th November 2019 16:00.
- The invitation to participate in the BuyBack trial can only be used once, with a maximum of 3 items of either Womenswear or Menswear clothing.
- John Lewis & Partners will reward each item of clothing received as part of the BuyBack trial with a single John Lewis & Partners gift card with the appropriate amount of credit loaded onto it. One item of approved clothing will receive £3, two approved items of clothing will receive £6 and the maximum of 3 approved items of clothing will receive £9.
- Approved Clothing for the BuyBack trial are defined as:
9.1 We can only accept clothing that has been purchased from John Lewis & Partners, so must be a brand that is or has been stocked at John Lewis & Partners.
9.2 Womenswear and Menswear clothing items. We cannot accept: Lingerie, Underwear, Swimming costumes, Socks, Tights, Accessories, Handbags, Childrenswear, Nursery products.
9.3 All clothing must be in a reasonable state of condition. Any items of clothing which are unclean or wet will not be accepted.
- Lost invitations to the BuyBack trial cannot be replaced.
- No cash alternative is available.
- John Lewis & Partners reserve the right to close the BuyBack trial early or extend.
- John Lewis & Partners have the final say in what can be accepted as part of the BuyBack trial.